Are JD Track Tractors really that bad?? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are JD Track Tractors really that bad??

Hello,
I was just wondering what you folks that run the green tracked units really think about your tractor (good or bad). I want to know about anything 8000 series through 9000 series. My dealer is always begging growers to not buy JD track tractors because they always seem to find there way back into the shop many times. I also have heard that they are very hard to work on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:23 AM

Re: Are JD Track Tractors really that bad??

I run an 8410T that has near 3,000 hours on it and it's never been in the shop. Will say that as the tracks wear down, the ride get more unacceptable. Have the OEM Goodyear 30in. belts that have near 16,000 miles on them and they will get changed out here in the next couple of weeks for Camoplast 5500 series, 30in.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 726 Post(s)

The 20 series and older are not a nice tractor in my opinion, rough, drivers slipping inside the tracks, and the undercarriage wears out too soon. That being said my farm does run a 9630T, the new suspension system is amazing, the way the drivers grip has changed and never slipped yet. We have 500hrs on the machine so far so longevity is unknown but I think it is a huge improvement over the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We rented an 8400T for a couple days last fall and bought a Cat 55 this winter. I think the problem Deere has is they had to work around too many of Cat's patents on the track design with the reaction arm being the big one. On a Cat the all the track tension is isolated to the track frame while Deere transfers theirs into the tractor frame which limits how tight they can run the tracks, the older Cats run 26,000lbs of track tension and I was thinking Deere was around 4,000 but I could be wrong on that. Any narrow gauge track tractor is going to be tough to work on because there isn't any room to work inside of the tracks but the wide gauge machines aren't bad at all.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 10:38 PM

The jd T's arent that bad as long as you compare them to the non mt cats. We have a 8120 and 9620t. Ride sux on the road in the fiels it is pretty good. If you compaRE TO MT CAT OR 30 SERIES DEERE THEY SUCK. IT ALL DEPENDS WHAT you have to pay for it. HAve had 3 deere t's and have never had to take to theshop, but the tracks do seem to wear down fast.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 08:48 AM
nbc

The 9030T's aren't bad on the ride.
The 8030T's are horrible, they ride worse then the old cat's from 8 years ago. So you have to watch things like the exhaust pipe crack and fall off. The core of the tractor is good. The transmission and engines seem to last to at least 5000 hours before you need to under haul. The goodyear tracks that most of them have are junk, if you get camoplast tracks you are in business. If you have to due a lot of travel I would not buy a JD 8000/10/20/30T series tractor due to the ride. You will be frustrated. But if you must get camoplast belts and buy the 24/25 in tracks they will do less damage in turn and ride better.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 726 Post(s)

The 9030s are great on the road IMO, smoother than the 9030 wheels. And we have both
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page