9400T yes or no - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
9400T yes or no

I am looking at buying a JD 9400T for pulling my air drill is there anyone out there with an opinion I want the good and the bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: 9400T yes or no

We had one and it was the roughest riding tractor we ever owned. That being said it can pull but stay as far away from anything that even looks wet as you can. If one track slips the other will swing you right into any mudhole you find.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 04:02 PM

You can turn out easy in a Quad Trac from mud, same as any 4wd tractor.....lots of traction too, but rough.

Simber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I have some relatives that even pee green!!! and they are buying MT800b's and trading their 9400t or 9420t. they are so rough that they have done a lot of welding on the radiator frame and in that area due to the viberation/roughness. sooooooooo
NO to a 9400t.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 07:53 AM

I bleed green, but the early model 9400T's have engine reliability problems. The later models with the Powershift were more reliable. As much as I love green, the Cat/AGCO MT8X5's are a lot more tractor - for a lot more $.

As an accountant for a ultra large farming operation, running ~60 Row Crop Belted tractors and ~20 Heavy Tillage Belted tractors (both JD & Cat), I have noticed that when the hydraulic/transmission/steering components shell out and are replaced, that a second, subsequent hydraulic/transmission/steering repair occurs within a few hundred hours or less of the first breakdown. Frequently, some of the same high priced parts ($1,000+) are replaced. This doesn't happen everytime, but frequently enough that it caught my attention when reviewing Work Orders.

My theory is that during the component failure, metal grindings are pumped throughout these systems. When the initial repair is performed, the mechanic (attempting to keep the cost of the repair to a minimum), only replaces the obviously broken components and leaves the remaining components unchecked, but possibly full of grindings. While it would increase the cost of the initial repair, it would be cheaper in the long run to have the mechanic inspect the other components for contamination while they are easily accessible and thoroughly flush the systems.

Has anyone else experienced this or observed secondary breakdowns after major repairs?

Thanks,

Ron
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies kind of suspected they were not as good.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

rdow not to get to side tracked here but to answer your secondary breakdown ? My father -in -law worked for a hyd pump,mter company he was one of there main engeners anyway the did a study on underground mining company when they would lose one of there main hyd pumps if they got say 14000 hours out of it on average they would usually only get half to a third of the hrs as the first and if they put in a third pump they very seldom got more than 1/3 of the orgianlly hrs that were on the orgianal pump. Anyway the study basically came to the conclusion that the pre mature failer was from contamination from the original break down not flushing or replacing all lines tanks ect....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in