Outback Guidance-Who's Got One? Have the Baseline? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Outback Guidance-Who's Got One? Have the Baseline?

I wanted to ask you folks, here, who all owns an Outback Guidance System?
I have the Outback S2 w/ E-Drive on two tractors, and like it.
I am considering purchasing/upgrading to the Baseline System. I have heard mixed reviews on the Baseline, and wanted to hear from those of you that have the Baseline. I know that Outback totally re-did their Baseline System a few years ago. It used to be that upgrading to the Baseline would cost a person about $4k, and now, it will cost about $9k. Outback says that the Baseline, before, was really no better than the S2 w/E Drive...and now, it is better....I would certainly hope so, with that kind of price increase.Outback claims accuracy within ~one centimeter~. After becoming thoroughly familiar with RTK, I have a problem calling the Baseline System "TRUE" RTK, but that is my opinion.
The bottom line is: how does it work for you?
I am getting into strip tilling, and want accuracy. I need to stay with Outback, at least for now, and want to know if the Baseline is worth the cash. Some say the S2 w/E-Drive will do just about as good...

My Outback S2 & E-Drive, today, sewing wheat w/ JD 8760:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Re: Outback Guidance-Who's Got One? Have the Basel

Is the Baseline using a base tower? If not you will not have centimeter acuracy. To many variables with out a fixed base to read from.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

The Baseline uses a "tripod unit". I don't know if "tripod" is synonimous with "base tower", but that is what it is....

The Baseline Unit sits in the field, within 2 miles of your tractor/combine in use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)

I don't use basline. Don't know anyone that does. I have been using outback guidance for 6years. Thinking of purchasing e drive for 3 units, but have been seeing adds from outback in paper saying they have a new product coming.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

remember that your tripod base station has to be put in the exact same position on the field each time you use it or you wont get the centimeter accuracy well you will but if you need to go i the exact same track it has to be put in the same spot that what gos for the cultiva system anyway and i would suppose that it would be the same for the outback.

Bo
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, I have not heard of a new product, although you may be totally correct.
Personally, I have heard of software upgrades, which I have. Recently, Outback Guidance added circular/pivot patterns, an A+ feature for setting the heading angle, and an option to update the B point within the A-B guideline. I believe all of this applies to systems with the E-Drive.
Also, one can purchase "tc", and add it to their E-Drive. "E-Drivetc" stands for E-Drive with tilt compensation. I don't need that, currently, and hope I don't!

You really ought to get at least one E-Drive for your S2's. I have never run the S2 without the E-Drive, but from the looks of it, I would go nuts without the E-Drive. Trying to stay on line, in route, with nothing but a light bar....I could not do too well...Anyway, give one a try! They are Great!

**Edit** I read a press release, dated 27 Sept., that states that Outback is coming out with the "Eclipse"....a dual band RTK system. Before I buy the Baseline (single-banded RTK), I want to know more about the Elipse. As I stated in my first post, I have a problem calling the Baseline "true RTK" , but it sounds as though the Eclipse is going to be true as true can be!
Here is a link to the "new" releases:
http://micro.newswire.ca/29749-2.html
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)

couldn't find anymore info on the eclipse dual frequency. I am curious if you have used the e-drive at speeds over 14mph.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

I have done some spraying using my E-Drive. My speed was right around that area, maybe just over that (15 mph range).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I don't know about Outback, but the Trimble RTK that uses the mobile base can be "nudged" to be on line when you are on line of the previous trip. This will reset the lines and run the same until the rover (mobile base) is moved again the the same must be done to follow the lines when you come back for the next trip. A simple one touch operation.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've used both versions of Baseline, regular and baseline HD. I could'nt tell the difference between the 2. I'd say 4 inch accuracy is what I would call it. Both Baseline versions worked alright I suppose but 4 inch accuracy is not repeatabe. Not much better than just running S2. I tried it for strip till and ended up working ok. I used it to make strips last fall, but could not get it to follow strips planting. Start planting right on strip, but after a bit, it would be off. This is because every once, guess row would be at off one way of the other 4-5 inches. This spring planting non strip till ground with HD was no better. I ended up going with a true RTK system for next year. For our farm, the added accuracy is needed planting seed corn on strips. If not for seed corn, we probably baseline would have been more that adequate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page