Upgrading hydraulics on a Tiger? - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Upgrading hydraulics on a Tiger?

A good friend of mine, has decided to start rebuilding their Steiger Tiger. When weighed against the price of newer iron, they figure they can have a almost new tractor for far less money.

They want to start at the hydraulics, and replace the existing system with something more modern, like a closed center, load sensing, with electric over hydraulic control, and in-cab flow control. A huge gpm flow rate isn't really needed, as they quit with air drills, and went back to box drills. He does however, need 8 remote outlets.

Just wondering if someone has done this, before he reinvents the wheel?
FWIW the tractor is a '78 ST 450 Tiger, Series III with a KT 1150 and Allison tranny.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I have done it on a customer unit. I thought it would be easy just mount a pto on the allison but there is no pto drive gear in them trans steiger spec the trans without the pto gear to save money I presume. I ended up pulling the trans and installing the drive gear and mounting a pto and a hyd pump more less just like a wet kit on a truck. I used the orignal resvior and welded new fittings into to make the new pump work. They used it for 5 yrs so far with no trouble.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Are they going to seed with that shade of green now instead of the current shade of green?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho View Post
Are they going to seed with that shade of green now instead of the current shade of green?
Enlighten me on the meaning of this , does it have reference too JD ?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainline View Post
I have done it on a customer unit. I thought it would be easy just mount a pto on the allison but there is no pto drive gear in them trans steiger spec the trans without the pto gear to save money I presume. I ended up pulling the trans and installing the drive gear and mounting a pto and a hyd pump more less just like a wet kit on a truck. I used the orignal resvior and welded new fittings into to make the new pump work. They used it for 5 yrs so far with no trouble.
So the pump you installed circumvented the factory pump for the whole system, or was your install to add a larger flow circuit? Do you remember any specifics on the pump specs? Where you purchased the pump? Did you need a charge pump? I presume the pto gear was available from Allison?
Thanks.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho View Post
I'm not exactly sure of their intentions, but Ronn wants it to be able to go on the drill I know. That's what the extra remotes are for, they want to set up to VR the seed and the starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeltractor View Post
Enlighten me on the meaning of this , does it have reference too JD ?
Yes, they currently run a 9520 JD, but are wanting to get the Tiger a little more user friendly.
joeltractor likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
No we left the factory pump in place. We installed a new pump and 2 new sets of couplers to run air drill fan and have a extra If it was ever needed. Customer supplied pump and pto but I believe it was 30 gpm and all the part I think came from kinacor ? A company from SK I think. The pto gear was avalible from allison. Charged pump was not needed as resvior was higher than pump. The pto I installed was turned on and off buy a switch in the cab
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainline View Post
No we left the factory pump in place. We installed a new pump and 2 new sets of couplers to run air drill fan and have a extra If it was ever needed. Customer supplied pump and pto but I believe it was 30 gpm and all the part I think came from kinacor ? A company from SK I think. The pto gear was avalible from allison. Charged pump was not needed as resvior was higher than pump. The pto I installed was turned on and off buy a switch in the cab
Just found this thread.
Pretty interesting and was curious if all was still working well?
Did you install the pump on the top or the bottom?
Mine is on the bottom, they had to take a chunk of the channel iron out but dont think that frame cares.
After doing some work on it today I am scratching my head why they didn't use the top mounting flange.

God Bless America
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Easier to get to?

I have a CIH 9150, looks like the only option for mine to increase hydraulic GPM is for a pump to go where the PTO housing normally went. (Mine is a wheatland special no PTO or 3PT.) Doubt I could find a PTO for my tractor unless it came out of a junked 9150 or Cougar 1000 that had one.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNfarmer85 View Post
Easier to get to?

I have a CIH 9150, looks like the only option for mine to increase hydraulic GPM is for a pump to go where the PTO housing normally went. (Mine is a wheatland special no PTO or 3PT.) Doubt I could find a PTO for my tractor unless it came out of a junked 9150 or Cougar 1000 that had one.
The allison has one hole at about the 4:30 position and one at 12 o clock and that hole has gobs of room compared to the other. At least a guy wouldn't have had to cut anything out of the frame.

Depending on what exactly your doing you could put a pump on the engine accessory drive if I remember right there is nothing there. Probably be stuck with open center but not the end of the world.

Kinda interesting being stated there was no PTO gear in the allison but to my understanding this one and another not far from it had it in there. Probably wouldn't be much fun to install that!

Probably quite a waiting list for a PTO for a tractor but could always pic on ben at btp

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page