Electric Tractors ... what's happening with them? - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
[/QUOTE]

360 hp = 270 kWt generator. Our plans is to provide on board basic 110V/60Hz for house appliances and/or 220V/60Hz to run commercial electric motors on future electric implements. Separately we'll offer an inverter box for commercial 3 phase power originating from the tractor.[/QUOTE]

Hmm electric drive on implements .... wonder if that would work better with powering air seeders and such instead of hydraulics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Electric drive is efficient at getting power to the ground, motors can generate incredible torque. So i can see how this idea would be used in pursuit of efficiency. I know what Highmarker talks of because my job is to work on this gear and be there to fix it when it blows up - seen some nasty things over the years. Things guys may not appreciate when tinkering on their electric drives, you can get burned pretty good. Shock is the low risk.

So efficiency and performance and longevity can be gained with diesel electric. We all have a fair amount of electrical infrastructure on our farms so electricity is not a foreign entity. If you dont know what you are doing you dont mess with it. So an electric drive on a tractor would carry the same warning.

post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
With 450+ KW tractors and combines now charging infrastructure will be the ultimate bottleneck.
Not really. Did you know the CSIRO in Oz is developing sprayon Solar Panels. Low efficiency rating but who cares, once they dial it in will be very cheap to do large surface areas. What do most farms have? Lots of sheds with big roof surface area. Imagine if all your sheds were generating power.
Off course the power is being generated when you are usually wanting to use the tractor etc so unless you have a VERY long extension cord would either need battery storage at the yard or exchangeable battery packs. I would think the latter will happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Rogater has a protype diesel electric sprayer
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 08:07 PM
Ken Adams

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
Rogater has a protype diesel electric sprayer
I like that idea - get rid of all the hydro stats!!

post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfoot View Post
I like that idea - get rid of all the hydro stats!!
Home

Henke's up in the Golden Triangle are working on/have released something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
Home

Henke's up in the Golden Triangle are working on/have released something like that.
I checked out their website and its interesting what they are doing. More efficient then hydraulic driven systems and longer life span.
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Lucy, gosh darn, yur so smart.

Can you imagine burying this tractor in a slough? You couldn't pay me enough to come near that thing to hook up to it. Having a 500hp vfd in a stable dry control room is one thing, but having one strapped to a tractor dealing with moisture or water, moving, twisting and yet having a man sitting on it!
Forget that!

I for one, have seen electric frequency drives explode, and when those IGBT's blow, the force bends .5" steel bus bars like twizzlers. And that's with drives that are only a few hundred hp.

Might as well operate a hydrogen powered tractor.

Last edited by hihi962; 01-29-2018 at 11:45 PM.
post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer99 View Post
I checked out their website and its interesting what they are doing. More efficient then hydraulic driven systems and longer life span.
I think this may be part of the reason ag manufacturers have been reluctant to take this route. The last thing they want to do is produce something with a longer life span. It is OK in mining and construction because these industries put more hours on in a year than most farm equipment does in 10. They need stuff to last 20 or 30,000 hours because it doesn't actually take long to reach those hours, in farming that would last generations.
sawyer99, Snipe and hihi962 like this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihi962 View Post
Lucy, gosh darn, yur so smart.

Can you imagine burying this tractor in a slough? You couldn't pay me enough to come near that thing to hook up to it. Having a 500hp vfd in a stable dry control room is one thing, but having one strapped to a tractor dealing with moisture or water, moving, twisting and yet having a man sitting on it!
Forget that!

I for one, have seen electric frequency drives explode, and when those IGBT's blow, the force bends .5" steel bus bars like twizzlers. And that's with drives that are only a few hundred hp.

Might as well operate a hydrogen powered tractor.

Well the cruise ships I've been on are diesel electric and the motors sit in the water....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page