Electric Tractors ... what's happening with them? - Page 6 - The Combine Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmb View Post
Yes, an on farm bio diesel facility would be more practical and plausible in the future than a 450hp battery driven tractor. That would solve a lot t of concerns with the hand wringing of "peak oil", climate nazi's, green initiatives, oppose big oil, while being more self sufficient.

I wonder why there is not a lot of subsidized government research and programs to develop bio diesel packages that can be rolled out to farmers in a few years as we approach the Armageddon of fossil fuels we are warned of. When fuel gets that expensive it would make sense to turn your own production into a fuel stock.
How would the government go about collecting taxes on that? They would research that part first.

kenmb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
so how are the live hydraulics going to work? Another motor to drive that I assume? Since the whole point is to remove clutches and transmissions, it will need another motor for that. And another for the pto?
I think there are a lot more parasitic loads other than just pulling.

I think there is a reason this is just a pipe dream, I'm sure it'll stay that way for my entire lifetime.

There is also a big difference between a water well pump or irrigation pump. A compact vfd for a 500hp motor would be bigger then your dodge extended cab 1 ton truck.

I must admit, the sound would be cool!

Last edited by hihi962; 01-30-2018 at 06:58 PM.
post #53 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hihi962 View Post
so how are the live hydraulics going to work? Another motor to drive that I assume? And another for the pto?
Not sure how would (and if) it will work on a purely electrical tractor.
But here is how it's working on the 300 hp Diesel/Electric drive tractors that are built since 2009:
- Bausch hydraulics is operating from the main electric motor.
- Main PTO is operating from the main electric motor.
- Optional front PTO is operated by a dedicated smaller electric motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihi962 View Post
I think there is a reason this is just a pipe dream, I'm sure it'll stay that way for my entire lifetime... I must admit, the sound would be cool!
- Is purely electric tractor just a pipe dream? - time will tell.
- However, diesel electric tractor is here and now. The early units have already over 4,000 hours on them. The plan is to bring it to North America towards fall 2018.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transport.jpg (223.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg MTZ_3000_series_cropped.jpg (168.0 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arie515 View Post
...- Is purely electric tractor just a pipe dream? - time will tell.
- However, diesel electric tractor is here and now. The early units have already over 4,000 hours on them. The plan is to bring it to North America towards fall 2018.
Hey, if there is a market for it, I say have at 'er!
post #55 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Never thought of that Snipe but i bet you are pretty close to a bullseye with taxation on why we dont see much action in this direction.

Nice that Arie is sharing this info. I would have thought that it was a pipe dream yet. Electric drives stand up pretty well underground in a potash mine which is a very nasty environment with salt dust, temperature, humidity in places, and diesel soot collecting on every component but things keep purring along when built properly.
post #56 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 04:22 PM

Anyone who is interested to see and test in the upcoming 360 ho Electric Drive tractor.
Following a strong interest, we have a group of about 12-15 dealers and farmers that will be flying to Belarus to test the existing running Electric Drive tractors, before committing to orders.

Visit to Belarus will be taking place March 11-16th. Trip will include visits to
- Minsk Tractor Works (MTW)
- MTW testing grounds (test the Electric drive and the new 460 hp MFWD)
- Minsk Motor Plant
- Visiting local large farm using the 430 hp MTZ-Kirovets 4WD and the Electric Drive tractors
- Cultural program

Visit is partially subsidized.
Having USA or Canadian passport is mandatory, short visits to Belarus do not require advanced entry visa.

Any farmers or dealers interested to join the trip, please contact me : aprilik[at]mtzequipment[dot]com
post #57 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just out of interest where does the efficiency gain come from? I had a d7e pushing gravel for me and I can see the benefit in an electric drive system in a forward backwards all day situation. Locos run the system they do for a reason, I can't see how there is going to be any efficiency gain using electric drive in a drawbar situation where you run at one speed all day. What am I missing?
post #58 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neily View Post
Just out of interest where does the efficiency gain come from?
In a nutshell: Electric Drive transmission has better transmission efficiency than CVT, Power Shift or Manual.
Diesel Engine is running Generator which powers Electric Motor. Diesel engine is not running the wheels.
So the diesel is always operating in most efficient rpm to deliver the needed power to the generator.

Actual field tests have shown 7-15% fuel savings / acre in field work, up to 25-30% savings in transportation mode.

Arie
post #59 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
What rpm does the engine run at? How many pole generator? What is the system voltage?
post #60 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
John Deere has a plant in Fargo ND, that is building inverters, up to 400Hp, and 700 volts. I know one of their wheel loaders, is available as a diesel electric drive. I've had several careers since leaving the farm, and one of these was locomotive engineer. You become a believer in electric drives, when you can hold the rail, and top the hill with a 17,000 ton coal train, at 0.2 MPH, now that is digging in for the pull.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page