Fendt tractors. - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
We have a 930 don’t use it for loader work but use it on a blade. And also use it for grain carting haying fert spreading and love the tractor. Transmission is awesome and motor has lots of low end tourque and is great on fuel.
Also has 6500 hrs and have been minor things to fix. But not bad considering the hours.

Last edited by paul weber; 01-27-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
Fixx does the 7810 have a different engine than the 7730? Are the 7730 known to have bad engines or do you think you got a lemon?
7810 has an 8.1 litre. We had one and was rock solid besides a intermittent pto kicking out issue which turned out to be a pinched wire in wiring harness.

Father in law has a 7230 with 8600 hrs which has the same 6.8 litre engine that your 7730 has. Not sure how they are getting the extra HP on 7730 but have only had to set the valves once at about 5000 hrs. Think is was about a 3500 bill.

They suggest using fuel conditioner which in-laws use maybe half the time.

Friend works for a guy had a 7430 engine pile up at around 4000 hrs. Dealer said it was because they weren’t using John Deere conditioner??? Not sure the details but sounded like Bs.

post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Yes what mags said on the engines........the 6.8 uses a common rail fuel system while the 8.1 litre used an injection pump ..... I’m sure they have had injector troubles on the 6.8 because the 4830 sprayers had some issues on several that I know of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixx View Post
I’m sure they have had injector troubles on the 6.8.
When i quit at deere in 2014 they weren't quite sure themselves what was the problem. Maybe they know now but I remember dtac(deere technical assistance for dealer techs) telling us to connect service advisor and see if they were being lugged. On service advisor you can see how many hours the motor was at in rpm increments and the load on the motor in those rpm increments. I think it was 100 rpm increments but cant remember now. That was not the issue.
We replaced injectors every rebuild but did not seem to help.
All I knew is the pistons would melt and then fly to pieces with no warning and damage everything. Usually only one piston though. If they were close to grenading sometimes you could here the motor is louder than it should be and more rough running.
When I left it was only the 6.8 in 7930 and 7830 having trouble but im hearing now even the lower hp 6.8 giving same trouble.

If I owned a 30 series with a 6.8 the first thing I would try and do is get rid of the egr and keep some heat out of the cylinders. Oh and I hate that vgt turbo. The vgt was installed to meet emission standards and is tuned accordingly. The power increase is just a bonus. It probably doesn't help the cause, especially if the vanes stick

Last edited by JAW896; 01-28-2019 at 01:36 AM. Reason: I had to fix some grammar so it reads more rightly
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Did the older 6.8 like in the 7210 give problems or is it just in the newer models with the new emmisions.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
No it was just in the 30 series we were seeing issues. The 6.8 in the 10 and 20 series were very good motors. We have a 7210 and it will die on the farm, or I'll die before getting rid of it. From what I have seen the powerquad or synchros in the transmission go before the motor.
When deere added scr and def to the engines it increased the longevity of the motor because they could control emissions in the exhaust instead of the combustion chamber
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
So could you delet egr and go to fixed vane turbo? Get rid of heat that way? Was just talking to diesel tech about variable vane in isx but would lose jake power with fixed vane, not happening.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
7730 etc

So the delaminated pistons are from low cetane fuel and lugging- some effort went into SW to improve the situation- might check to see that you have the latest SW for the engine. As far as I know the latest 7R tractors have the e23 which you can clutch with the brakes and with a left hand reverser should work pretty well. I wouldn't get the IVT because of the reputation they have.
I do work with a guy that loves the fendts although I would suspect not all locations have good dealer support- just depends on where you are at.
Lowmark likes this.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
We have an IVT and really like it, over 6000 hours. Somewhere near the 2000 hour mark we had a problem with a hydraulic pump. Other than that it's just worked. Whatever reputation you think the IVT has, I don't think there have been a lot of problems in recent years across all the units sold in total. There are always the odd machines with lots of problems, but I don't believe it's general. John Deere has two different IVTs. In the smaller tractors I think they use a transmission from ZF. The 7 and 8 series are made by John Deere if I remember correctly. We're not doing any draft pulling. This tractor has spent it's life pulling a sprayer (lots of hydraulic flow under tough conditions to drive the sprayer's water pump), mowing, pulling wagons, loader work, and auger work. We would never buy a replacement machine for these purposes without IVT or a CVT. Especially for spraying. We have always used HyGard II oil in it. Not sure if that makes it work better or not.

Fendt's CVT is the oldest, most efficient, and most proven CVT in the industry. All other CVTs and IVTs are essentially copies of it, with various changes to get around the patents Fendt had and has. It's also extremely simple, mechanically. Far simpler than a powershift transmission. Unlike other brands I don't think they have to shift between a high and low range to get the full speed range. With fancy computer programming the other companies have managed to make their CVTs and IVT almost as smooth and seamless as Fendt.
SWMan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page