The Combine Forum

The Combine Forum (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/)
-   Tractors (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/18-tractors/)
-   -   Fendt tractors. (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/18-tractors/330871-fendt-tractors.html)

Fixx 01-25-2019 10:59 PM

Fendt tractors.

So weíve ran Deere loader tractors for ever and had really good luck . But my 7730 is going to get the second drop in engine in 5800 hrs ...... the first drop in lasted 1500 hrs . Both engines delaminate a piston then the pieces fly out bending valves etc ...... Iím not overly impressed how this engine runs anyway but then this happens itís got me looking at a fendt. I also donít like the transmission ( power quad) ..., i canít stand pissing around shifting ranges when I know there are Ivt type transmissions out there . Anyone got any high houred fendt around ? How do you like the fendt cvt Trany ? Is the Deutz engine they use any good ?........if I buy a Deere it appears I get the same 6.8 litre engine with emissions mounted on it ........any comments are appreciated

adsinaus 01-25-2019 11:05 PM

What size/age Fendt are you looking at? New, old?

Nodust 01-26-2019 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixx (Post 3310671)
So weíve ran Deere loader tractors for ever and had really good luck . But my 7730 is going to get the second drop in engine in 5800 hrs ...... the first drop in lasted 1500 hrs . Both engines delaminate a piston then the pieces fly out bending valves etc ...... Iím not overly impressed how this engine runs anyway but then this happens itís got me looking at a fendt. I also donít like the transmission ( power quad) ..., i canít stand pissing around shifting ranges when I know there are Ivt type transmissions out there . Anyone got any high houred fendt around ? How do you like the fendt cvt Trany ? Is the Deutz engine they use any good ?........if I buy a Deere it appears I get the same 6.8 litre engine with emissions mounted on it ........any comments are appreciated

My friend, a excellent mechanic, says if we are buying a JD we should be getting one with a ďdirect driveĒ transmission. Iíve never seen one because no one brings them in. Anyone have experience on this?

Nodust 01-26-2019 12:58 AM

On another note a new JD electronic joystick is $3200 plus labor, a rebuilt one $1900 plus labor, a $2 o ring for your quick coupler is $42 at JD.By 1500 hours you will probably need some of these! Fendt is probably as bad?

jvw 01-26-2019 10:30 AM

I went by Pentagon Lacombe the other day, they have an entire row of very late modelled JD tractors, traded in presumably on Fendts, lined up by the highway. Not the first time either, lots of green underwear types trading their green and yellow for the other green, that says a lot. Lots of German and Dutch farmers around here, and they swear by the Fendts. I have very little direct experience with them, so can't say much beyond that.

farmercook 01-26-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodust (Post 3310685)
My friend, a excellent mechanic, says if we are buying a JD we should be getting one with a ďdirect driveĒ transmission. Iíve never seen one because no one brings them in. Anyone have experience on this?

Have the direct drive in a 6170r its been great for haying, loader work and feeding cows. No quite like an ivt but close you don't need to use the clutch so you can inch along with just the brake pedal. Only 2000 hrs on it so far and had to have one of the transmission case gaskets replaced cause of a leak. Other than that I've been really happy with it.

joesixpack 01-26-2019 12:25 PM

I’ve had nothing to do with the late model JD’s but tried my uncles JD with the direct drive and pretty much hated it on the first impression. I couldn’t get past why on earth not an IVT.

Fixx 01-26-2019 07:15 PM

Was looking at a 722 model .....I’m with joesixpack I do not understand the concept of the direct drive .....it on the demo / rental R155? That I have .......why have a trany like that when you can have an ivt....seems like Deere is trying to make so many different models to suit everyone but can’t make a single delux one that is the Cadillac of tractors .....offering multiple models costs money to produce them and every time a new model comes out your current one is that much less ....... same as their combines ......

SWMan 01-27-2019 12:19 AM

If you can stomach the price of a Fendt I am sure you would like the tractor. I have a Challenger 555E which has the Fendt CVT and it is really nice, but the controls are a bit counter-intuitive to me. Fendt controls still have too many buttons but actually make good sense once you get familiar with them.

I actually quite liked the controls on my previous CNH loader tractors and their CVT was decent, although there was some range shifting in there so not perfectly smooth. Nothing out there is gonna touch a Fendt for durability and reliability though. I know a couple that went 10K+ hours with routine maintenance and led a pretty tough life.

iwanttorunthebest 01-27-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodust (Post 3310685)

You donít want it trust me, itís just a fancy power shift the ivt is way better.