Massey Ferguson 500 hp tractor - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny S. View Post
Our local dealer said that there would be a new 500 hp serie wheel tractor in 2020. Some peoples claim that Massey Ferguson is going to have new tractors. Massey has bought a new buildings and they are about to produce 14 new series of tractors in Beauvais in France. Fendt produce yellow Challenger for U.S. and Australia maybe, and they are adjusting production capacity for 1000 serie in Marktoberdorf. There is something strange in this. Our locall dealers are scared of Masseys having 1000 in red...
Australia only gets fendt 1000 series. We do get yellow challenger tracked tractors though

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I can't explain what goes on at Nebraska test track. I would say there is some pretty suspect stuff comes out of the NTTL, any chance they are not as pure as the wind-driven snow like just about every other organization on earth? I'm just glad we don't farm on pavement. I do know pulling the same implements up the same hills that there is really no comparison in the field, my 965 is weighted pretty heavily though. One of the really nice things about the larger displacement engines is they seem to hang in there at below 1500RPM, which the CNH and Deere 13L engines don't. Just makes it a less stressful experience. I did drive a 9620RX I believe it was(15L Cummins) and it did have some good torque, perhaps the Versatile would be same.
We regularly run out of power in that exact situation with our 620s pulling a 60ft disc drill with 7950. As soon as it gets pulled below 1500 rpm they fall off a cliff. I also look forward to a 900 series on four tracks.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
There is no replacement for displacement. Our old 903 cummins (15L) can take off idling with out a bat of an eye. Torque way down at low rpm requires displacement. In hills where rpm's can get challenged some of these high hp smaller displacement engines hit a breaking point fast where it just falls off a cliff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
For the life of me I can’t understand why people insist on doing that for the sake of not selecting a lower gear. Most modern designed engines have nearly flat torque curves for emissions purposes, with an abrupt torque fall off as it reaches maximum RPM to limit its maximum horsepower, thus creating a wall of torque as it is lugged back down toward 2000 RPM. Running a 681 horsepower tractor with a perfectly flat torque chart, lugged down to 1500 RPM reduces it to about a 510 horsepower tractor.

The up side is a 12 litre engine can produce over twice the horsepower of a venerable old 15 litre Cummings. If you run it wide open, and don’t lug its guts out.
meskie and Grumpie like this.

Last edited by Haystack; 03-04-2019 at 10:15 AM.
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
So drop 170HP over a measly 500rpm?

Nothing will convince me that engine will be anything like a C18 at 700HP
TrewDiesel likes this.
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 841 Post(s)
True enough, when an engine is lugged down 500RPM from 2000 RPM it will only be accomplishing 75% of the acres it was, so it better feel like it has the world by the tail.
post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
They need to put tracks on that 900 series 4WD and nothing would touch them.

Agco put tracks on 900 series when they tested tracks for Ideal. I think there would not be any problems with it but they probably dont want to offer four track tractors.
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 2878 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
True enough, when an engine is lugged down 500RPM from 2000 RPM it will only be accomplishing 75% of the acres it was, so it better feel like it has the world by the tail.
Yeah but who wants the engine spinning at 2000RPM when you can do it at 1500 without fear of it crapping it's pants.

The 13 liter engines in my Volvo trucks run 1100-1400RPM all day and behave just as a diesel should, why can't CNH and Deere do the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny S. View Post
Agco put tracks on 900 series when they tested tracks for Ideal. I think there would not be any problems with it but they probably dont want to offer four track tractors.
It's not about what they want, it should be about what the customer wants.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Quote:

The 13 liter engines in my Volvo trucks run 1100-1400RPM all day and behave just as a diesel should, why can't CNH and Deere do the same thing?
Cause you would have to build a bigger driveline/transmission to run that slow in a tractor all day long at 80-90% power like lots of tractors do.

What would be the average power usage on your trucks? Less then 1/2 I would guess?
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 2878 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
Cause you would have to build a bigger driveline/transmission to run that slow in a tractor all day long at 80-90% power like lots of tractors do.

What would be the average power usage on your trucks? Less then 1/2 I would guess?
Only to the first set of gears right? Then it could be put to whatever ratio?

All over the place, sometimes steady full power but not for all day like a tractor can be at. The characteristics of the Volvo(and many other OTR) engines compared to Iveco especially are much different.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page