2290 case rearend noise? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
2290 case rearend noise?

Just purchased a 2290 case tractor with 4000 engine hours. Noticed today while idling, or even revved up in yard, that if your at the back of the tractor you can hear a steady noise. Kind of sounds like a bit of steady cavitation? Itís not really a loud whine, and not a grinding sound. Has anyone noticed a 90 series case doing this normally? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:59 AM
jvw

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Turn the PTO on, or put a load on the PTO and see if it goes away.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
It's not in reverse is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvw View Post
Turn the PTO on, or put a load on the PTO and see if it goes away.
Hey, pto turned on and under load still makes the sound. Sounds almost like it’s from the side of the frame by the driver side rear tire. Just a steady kind of ticking sound coming from the rear end. All the lines are not moving or slapping around. If I put my hand on the lines underneath. Nothing vibrates or feels like it has oil surging through it
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dave here----you may have a spline or a key searing on your hydraulic pump drive that pump on the left side is shaft driven I have seen this shaft striped drives off two small gears that make a 90 degree turn to the side you can pull this all up if you go to C I H parts store on the web and print it out I have also seen the brass bushing in the top pto shaft get rough and could cause you wine it turns all the time the pto is hydraulic engaged I have a 2290 apart in my shop now putting a pinion in I can lay my hands on these parts right now---------------------------dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm479 View Post
Dave here----you may have a spline or a key searing on your hydraulic pump drive that pump on the left side is shaft driven I have seen this shaft striped drives off two small gears that make a 90 degree turn to the side you can pull this all up if you go to C I H parts store on the web and print it out I have also seen the brass bushing in the top pto shaft get rough and could cause you wine it turns all the time the pto is hydraulic engaged I have a 2290 apart in my shop now putting a pinion in I can lay my hands on these parts right now---------------------------dave
Did you have any issues causing you to replace yours. Like no hydraulics? No pto? Not being able to drive tractor etc, or just replacing to stop the noise?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Is it a powershift? If so the noise could mean the transmission is going out. The 90 series powershifts were usually done by 5000 hrs.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsdavew View Post
Is it a powershift? If so the noise could mean the transmission is going out. The 90 series powershifts were usually done by 5000 hrs.
Yes. Powershift. Shifts nice and about the smoothest I’ve ever seen a case tractor shift. The tractor will spend its life running an auger or vac in home yard. We have unloaded 3 trucks since bringing it home and
The good things
-powershift shifts nice
-engine seems to run nice
-pto works good engages disengages

The off things
-steering is stiffer than most tractors I’ve drove
-rattle sound from rear end. Not loud but just constant
-at 1800 rpm stationary pto work. The cab seems to shake quite a bit. (Rest of tractor does not) 1600 rpm no shake

It looks like the big cover with pto has been resealed, and the pto has a new seal on it also.
Pump looking thing on the driver rear side by tire is blue and not factory colours like it’s been changed.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absk View Post
It's not in reverse is it?
Nope not in reverse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page