Steering meter john deere 4440 - The Combine Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grainline

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Steering meter john deere 4440

Got a john deere 4440 and hytran spewing through center of steering column. For the life of me i dont understand why engineers put hydraulic lines under dash in cab. Ive took metering pump out disassembled it replaced shims and seals three times. Just happened again and i dont know where to go. New metering pump? New shaft? No idea

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Have I got a deal for you!!!! Got one we never used sitting in storage, the one on our 4430 was leaking years ago, on a dealers advice we put in a new one, but it was a newer style and wouldn't work, and for what ever reason never returned it. Think it was like 700 bucks!!!

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Install another shim on top of the seal where the shaft goes in. Should fix it up. I have had that happen a few times on customer units
Geeze likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainline View Post
Install another shim on top of the seal where the shaft goes in. Should fix it up. I have had that happen a few times on customer units
Your saying install the shim on the outside of the block? Between the actual column housing and meter block?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanfarmer1990 View Post
Quote:
Your saying install the shim on the outside of the block? Between the actual column housing and meter block?
One of those .005 thick shims or a shim thats like the one already on top of seal?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanfarmer1990 View Post
One of those .005 thick shims or a shim thats like the one already on top of seal?
Another washer shim that sit's on top the seal. I'm seeing it more often as there units get older. Had a older guy a JD show me this trick years ago. Also check the line goes down to the clutch valve is the proper jd made line. The id of it is slightly bigger then hyd hose. I've seen guys put 1/4 hyd hoses on in place of it and have nothing g but trouble with leakage after.

Last edited by Grainline; 03-23-2019 at 02:43 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Another washer shim that sit's on top the seal. I'm seeing it more often as there units get older. Had a older guy a JD show me this trick years ago. Also check the line goes down to the clutch valve is the proper jd made line. The id of it is slightly bigger then hyd hose. I've seen guys put 1/4 hyd hoses on in place of it and have nothing g but trouble with leakage after.

^This.

Although if the block under the hood gets worn (scored) too much it will start bypassing too much oil and cause leaks everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

The block your talking about, is it the valve block? See it in shop manual but have no idea where its located.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page