Allis Chalmers 7060 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Allis Chalmers 7060

Does anyone have any thoughts, or opinions on the Allis Chalmers 7060 tractor? I don't have any experience with these tractors and I am wondering about the pros and cons of having one on the farm.

One is for sale locally, it has 8,000 hours and has the normal wear and tear of a 40 plus year old tractor. It would primarily be used to pull a 6 row disc and maybe a chisel plow every so often.

Should I be concerned with the high hours and should I expect to have possible transmission issues?

I like the horsepower of this tractor, but I don't want to buy a future headache.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Barn
Solid cheap power, overheating issues occasionally. Cab sucks for getting in and out of but really no worse than the JD's of that era. What transmission?

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
I've drove a 7080 and a 7050. Dont think they were known for trany problems but anything that age could have issues. I dont think you'll hurt it with a 15ft disk but check it over good and check n smell the fluid for burnt or contaminates.

Those 426s were a pretty good engine and if you turned the smoke screw to far was capable of destroying everything behind it.

The black bellies had a little better cab and a few other minor updates. As Capt said clean the radiator really well before the season and should be a decent tractor for ya. I like those ol punkins! One thing I'd do is chrome stack. They all sound the same, neighbor had a 170 180 7000 7045 and a 7080. Could never tell what one was driving by or working until you saw it. Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
The cabs are a bit awkward as the captain says, but once inside it is plenty roomy and QUIET for a beast of the age. Yeah, you could break the peace and quiet with a chrome stack if you want. They come with a power shift or a "power director", both of which are stout, just a matter of convenience. If you have a task in mind where you can pick a speed and go, no big deal. The power director type you are supposed to be at a complete stop before you shift, but there is a hi/lo on the go for every gear.

On the overheating, there is foam that goes along both sides of the rad and across the top. At 40 years old, this could be missing, partly missing, squashed or out of position, and it is CRITICAL to how well it stays cool. You can still buy foam kits from Agco, I just made it up from pipe insulation. The rad needs to be kept clean, but the way those sides come off so easy, it's pretty easy to do.

Not sure where you're located, but where else could you get 160 HP for less than $10k? Good luck in whatever you decide.

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I've had a 7040 for many years, mainly used it on a 5 yd scraper. never had it overheat but did have to have a seal replaced in the tranny which means splitting the tractor. If I remember correctly it was about a $4000 job. Good engine.. Agree on the cab access...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The 7060's were a little too much HP for the rear end. Same rear ends as lower hp models. If you don't know the history on it, assume it did lots of pulling back in the day. Look for silicon on the axle stubs indicating rebuilt or a patch job. Id stay away if your planning on pulling heavily. consider it if price is right and just need pto power. We absolutely love the lower hp Allis's though for light duty work. (Haying, swing away augers, plowing snow, front end loader etc) We run a 7010 power shift (15000 hrs never been touched) 7020 Power shift, one manual 7040. We houred out a 7040 power shift. Made it to 20,000 hrs before power shift caved out. but for the last decade it was only running a baler, so easy hours. then a 7045. If you don't need to pull anything hard then it would probably be ok. Because the quick change from 540rpm-1000Pto is real nice. But only if price is right. Their not worth much. Don't know where you are but around here less than 5K gets you a good one. 1500 gets you a rough one with poor tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page