3208 Cat motor no start. - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
3208 Cat motor no start.

I have a 3208 Cat in a Massey 1805, it has always started so easy but this spring I can’t make it go.

Fuel is good, filters are good, have good fuel to all injectors (cracked lines at the head and cranked over).

It will run on starting fluid so it has to be a fuel issue.

I haven’t checked the selenoid on the injector pump but if it’s getting fuel at the injectors the fuel rack must be in a ‘fuel on’ position. Likewise with the lift pump. It seems like there could be air in the system and it’s not building enough pressure to open the injectors?

It’s not my main tractor but it sure would be nice to have running. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:47 AM
jvw

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Some or all of the 3208's don't have injector return lines. I don't understand how it works, but the injector lines seem to be connected to return when not pressurized. If I prime the hand lift pump with injector lines cracked, fuel will pour out of them, that may be what you are seeing. When they get air, seem to require cracking more than one to get enough air out to start.

Can you hear/feel the electric shut off coming on? They do stick, especially after sitting for a long period. Easy to remove and test.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Barn
there is a fuel valve right at the tank, underneath, reachable from the battery side ... then it goes to the water filter on the right hand frame rail at the back of the motor .... there is -sometimes- a fuel shutoff valve there also ..
the fuel primer on the front left side of the motor should get harder to pump once fuel circulates at the injectors ..
I never have had that same problem without a valve being closed., on my 1805, dunno ?

regards, warren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Try cracking the lines at the valve cover and then try running with either for a few revolutions . Now if you see diesel it should run , sometimes air will get in the lines and be too spongy for the pump to purge it out .
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Try cracking the lines at the valve cover and then try running with either for a few revolutions . Now if you see diesel it should run , sometimes air will get in the lines and be too spongy for the pump to purge it out .
Been through this process 2x, good flow to each injector. Is it possible fuel rack in the injector pump is only opening part way? The kicker is that it did start then died, cracked fuel line? But no air when I crack the purge on top of the injector pump or the lines at the injectors.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCC View Post
Been through this process 2x, good flow to each injector. Is it possible fuel rack in the injector pump is only opening part way? The kicker is that it did start then died, cracked fuel line?

if fuel rack wasn't opening, you wouldn't get good flow to each injector ...
if it started, then died, but will run crappy on ether, then you aren't getting fuel ...and you really aren't getting good flow to the injectors ..
it -might- be the rack.. does it move easily by hand ??

regards, warren
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
I have a 3208 injecton pump rack stick closed. Had to take the cover off and manually move the rack a bit. Has never done it since. It got fuel, good fuel. But it was only the fuel the transfer pump put out. 30 psi. Did not get the good pulsing fuel when it tries to fire a cylinder during startup. stuck rack or poor shut off solenoid is my guess. Make sure that solenoid moves to running position and the rack will move also.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Finally got back to it this evening, rack moves freely, no sticky spots and easy enough to push with 1 finger, selinoid is not engaging though, was by myself so I disconnected it, turned the key then made the connection and had no engagement, so I’ll pull off and investigate or replace as a next course of action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page