tractor shopping I think - The Combine Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-13-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
tractor shopping I think

so my 440 quad trac doesnt have enough hydraulic GPM to run my drill.. I have pto so I cant put the twin pumps on. So I have been tractor shopping the last week or so, probably to worst time to do it too. I've found 3 but can't make up my mind what one to go after.
The first one is a NH t9040. Has over 6k hours, but triples weights, pto. pretty much loaded up

Number 2- a Steiger 450. triples, no pto. around 3k hours

number 3- 535 Versatile, 12 speed gear grinder, leaver hydraulics, 850s duals and weights. around 3k hours. the thing I like about the Verssy is hardly any electronics, so in theory less sh*t to go wrong. But I've hear a lot of tranny problems with these.. And I am not a fan of the QSX in my 440, I'm assuming its the same motor in this verssy. I'm also not a huge fan of those big 850 duals. They look expensive to replace after a deer antler has been ran over, or a fence post

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-13-2019, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2648 Post(s)
If 55GPM on the hydraulics is enough and it is discounted for the hours(and you are OK with the hours) I would definitely go with the T9040. It's pre-emission and that unit has the good throttle lever before NH messed it up, also it's not the compound turbo problem child like one model size larger. Without seeing the price or condition that would be my gut reaction, but I realize a 6K hour tractor is vulnerable to some maintenance costs, which is probably why it is traded off. I think there could be better options and I would look north of the border, your dollar would go a lot further. I know the NH dealer in Killarney has a guy strictly working ND selling used machines...

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-13-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

The T9040 is north of the boarder. They want 113K USD for it. That seems right compared to others I've looked at with the setup. The dealer said the only hold up may be the import/export paperwork. He said it could take 2 weeks???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-13-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Shouldn't take 2 weeks.......when bringing a tractor north into Canada it takes 3 days.....paperwork takes less than 10 mins at the border or a broker can usually do within a day. Just have to wait 72hrs for the US border guys to do a title search.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-13-2019, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Don't buy a NH or Case without PTO if thats something your thinking about later, CNH has discontinued the PTO kits making them very expensive, i was told 30-40G with shop time.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-13-2019, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Barn
You need to verify the import time frame for it, it could be several weeks. Found that out last year importing a fire tanker from Quebec, fortunately the dealer we got it from was a preferred exporter or something like that allowing a quick inspection at the border as long as paper work is in order. He told me without that status it could sit at the border for up to 6 weeks. Not at the dealer lot, CBP impound.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-14-2019, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I've got a 535 for sale. Sounds like the one you're talking about. Consignment on tractor house and bisman. If you have any questions just ask. Transmission was done by the previous owner. Can maybe get the dealer to verify that. Not sure what kind of hydraulic demands you have. The way the system is set up on those tractors is one pump runs the steering and remotes 1 and 2. The second pump runs 3 and 4/aux. Edit: Should add that it has 55gpm total.

I looked into adding another pump to it before I found another tractor. Basically, the tractors that have 3 pumps have different internals in the transfer case. So new case plus pump, lines, and labor. $25-30k
Did some talking with diesel fluid power in Minot. Sounds like building a PTO pump system is no problem. Would have probably gone that route if I had a PTO. Lots cheaper than the versatile option. Not sure what kind of time frame they could get it done. Also depends on how many more hours you plan on hanging onto the quad.

Last edited by Daner; 05-14-2019 at 08:49 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-14-2019, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
With the pto you could power a pile of hydraulics if you had time to set it up and plan it out. If you buy a tractor across the border just meet the truck at the border and handle the paper work yourself.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-14-2019, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Take the border seriously - make sure you know what is going to happen. My imports were always headed north but absolutely the only trouble I ever ran into was on the US side. Those guys have no sense of humour. The Canadian guys in general have a "let's git 'er done" attitude if you're standing there in front of them but the US guys don't think that way.

R.J.(Bob) Evans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 02:52 PM

I have moved a JD tractor and a HD motorcycle North and the US customs required the paperwork 72hours before the stuff arrived at the border. Used Percy H. Davis customs brokers to do the paperwork.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in