8430 trans oil light - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
8430 trans oil light

About half done seeding the wheat and last night the trans oil light came on as I was finishing up some cultivating. Kind of freaked me out because I've never seen it come on before. At first I was thinking it was time to blow out the cooler, but looking online it appears to be a pressure switch. Surprising since it never came on when I blew a line 2 weeks ago. Hydraulics seem normal, I'm not losing oil and steering is normal... clutch pressure is good. I'm thinking it's a bad connection ( maybe due to the oil bath when the hose blew) or bad sensor. Anything else I should be looking at? It is a quad range.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0968.JPG (274.0 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Most commonly the light indicates you need to change your filter or filters. As I recall there is an extra one or two on the 4wds, least on the later series. As for what usually happens when the light it triggered is that the filter has plugged off some and oil is flowing thru the bypass. Will seem like things normal, but there is flow restrictions internally.
But of course there is always a chance it is an electrical issue, but its not common.

whtbaron likes this.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

The light wasn't on long last night, and it went out when I stopped the tractor to lift the wings. I had a tech here this morning to fix the AC on the 4440 so he had a look at it. Today there is no light... not at startup...nada. Grounding it didn't help. I noticed the air cleaner light is also not lit at startup. According to the manual, if it's not the sensor, the next suspect is the bulkhead connector. I'll be changing out the filters shortly and keep an eye out for shrapnel, but so far it's looking like it could be a bulkhead connector issue. The clutch pressure sensor is just above the trans one and it's fine... steering and hydraulics seem to be working normally so hopefully it's just electrical. If it acts up again we'll do a pressure check just to make sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
There is a screen in bottom of the transmission housing. I have seen it plugged and putting the light on intermittently, it was covered with fuzz maybe from a paper towel.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

As in a screen on an oil pickup inside the transmission? This one was opened up last year when they did the wheel bearings so I would hope anything like that would have been cleaned...

The plot does thicken however... I kept going and noticed the light flickered when I hit bumps or smacked the shifter too hard, so I'm thinking "yep, bad electrical connection..." At least I did until 5 oclock Friday on the long weekend and I stopped the tractor to check the drill. Got back on and no forward motion. Zippo. For about 30 to 40 seconds and then the clutch decides to work. Didn't like that so I parked the tractor and got on the old 4440 to finish the field. Today I finally got back to it and changed the filters. Rear one was dated 2018 so it was changed last yr when they did the wheel bearings. Front one was dated 2013. Not good, but not horrible for a tractor going less than 200 hrs /yr. What I did notice was loose rubber on the ends of the filter where there is factory sealant glued on. I didn't see any major shrapnel or seal chunks in the oil or filters... nothing that would actually clog one anyway. I'm highly suspicious that the loose rubber was getting sucked into an opening at the top of the filter and shutting off flow. I put 3 or 4 hrs on it since and everything seems normal... and the dash light is functioning normally again as well. Here's hoping anyway...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Take the drain plug on the side of transmission case out and fish the screen out and clean it. Be careful not to make a hoe in the screen as it might be nylon, you can teplace it with a brass on if you damage the one you have
whtbaron likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
As in a screen on an oil pickup inside the transmission? This one was opened up last year when they did the wheel bearings so I would hope anything like that would have been cleaned...

Probably was cleaned, but after it was opened up, it now probably has a little dirt, rag pieces, and new bearing filings stuck in it. Never a bad idea to check it, especially if you find crud in your filters.

Our dealer always has the suction strainers in stock, I just pitch he old one and replace it with a new one ever since I found one that had the screen ripped away from the plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post

The plot does thicken however... I kept going and noticed the light flickered when I hit bumps or smacked the shifter too hard, so I'm thinking "yep, bad electrical connection..." At least I did until 5 oclock Friday on the long weekend and I stopped the tractor to check the drill. Got back on and no forward motion. Zippo. For about 30 to 40 seconds and then the clutch decides to work. Didn't like that so I parked the tractor and got on the old 4440 to finish the field. Today I finally got back to it and changed the filters. Rear one was dated 2018 so it was changed last yr when they did the wheel bearings. Front one was dated 2013. Not good, but not horrible for a tractor going less than 200 hrs /yr. What I did notice was loose rubber on the ends of the filter where there is factory sealant glued on. I didn't see any major shrapnel or seal chunks in the oil or filters... nothing that would actually clog one anyway. I'm highly suspicious that the loose rubber was getting sucked into an opening at the top of the filter and shutting off flow. I put 3 or 4 hrs on it since and everything seems normal... and the dash light is functioning normally again as well. Here's hoping anyway...
Seldom you will actually see material on the surface of a plugged filter in a Deere tranny. Multitude of things that could be at play. I wouldn't put much into dates on a filter, if you had work done I suspect they changed them all, not just one. I would cut them apart and see what is in the pleats, you might have something grinding itself apart. If you do check that suction screen, look in the bottom of the screen area and wipe across it with your finger, if you get a cloudy or grey colored scum on your finger or flecks of brass, you've got contamination happening from something failing.
I can't remember how the filters are arranged on those 30 series, is there one or two in the tranny housing and an external one or two at the articulation joint?

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

One horizontal one back on the side of the tranny inside of the rear tire... one vertical one just under the cab where it articulates (I think that one is for the clutch). Put a few more hours on it today.... seems good now. Hmmm... the only thing `new" or at least different for me that I hooked onto was the auction purchased drill. Maybe it had some condensation/ crud accumulated in the cylinders that I pulled into the tractor? Could have been parked for a couple years somewhere.

Last edited by whtbaron; 05-22-2019 at 08:45 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Went back and took a couple pics of the filter with the bad gaskets... top and bottom flapping in the wind. I haven't cut it open yet... I'll need more rain to get back to that. Meanwhile Yukon thought we could Gorilla tape the loose wheel on the 4440... he was wrong.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1053.JPG (201.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1056.JPG (191.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1051.JPG (409.1 KB, 3 views)
City Farmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page