The Combine Forum

The Combine Forum (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/)
-   Tractors (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/18-tractors/)
-   -   9280 Versatile intermittent rattle (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/18-tractors/332353-9280-versatile-intermittent-rattle.html)

CTS2 05-21-2019 04:41 AM

9280 Versatile intermittent rattle

9280 Ford Versatile, L10 Cummins, 12 speed standard manual syncro transmission.

I have a rattle noise intermittently at idle, coming from the area of the driveshaft between the engine and transmission.

It comes and goes as it pleases, but always disappears when you raise the engine even slightly above idle.

Driveshaft, universal, rubber drive coupling etc all seem good and tight. Unable to find anything loose in the area.

Check out these videos, the picture doesn't tell you much but hopefully you can hear what I am talking about.

https://youtu.be/POB6ClqeZFM

https://youtu.be/IxzAjedMcAU

Any ideas?

Willyboy 05-21-2019 09:31 AM

I'm interested to hear what the problem is if any because our 9280 does the exact same thing and has since we've owned it (4 years or so). Like you said it's only at an idle, anything above that and it disappears, I've never worried too much about it I guess.

Don Boles 05-21-2019 10:02 AM

Iíll bet the rattle doesnít occur with cold oil, only warm or hot?

kevlar 05-21-2019 10:07 AM

Broken spring in the clutch?

CTS2 05-22-2019 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Boles (Post 3334761)
I’ll bet the rattle doesn’t occur with cold oil, only warm or hot?

Yes, only starts once it's warmed up. You've seen the same thing before?

CTS2 05-22-2019 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevlar (Post 3334769)

Don't know, sounds a bit like that type of thing, but do you know what the clutch is like on these? It's not a Spicer truck type clutch. It's in the transmission itself. I believe it is a multi plate wet clutch? More like a clutch pack? But I don't really know.

Don Boles 05-22-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTS2 (Post 3334911)
Yes, only starts once it's warmed up. You've seen the same thing before?

Yes.
My SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) is when the oil is cold and viscosity higher there is enough drag on all the gears and bearings to never unload the gears.
When the oil is hotter and thinner the transmission turns much easier, due to resonate frequencies generated by all the turning parts including the engine there is rapidly loading and unloading of the gears creates the rattle you hear.
Itís just annoying, no functional adversity, in my tractors case just increasing idle speed 50 rpm would make it go away.
Oh, and my tractors transmission was green.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willyboy (Post 3334753)
I'm interested to hear what the problem is if any because our 9280 does the exact same thing and has since we've owned it (4 years or so). Like you said it's only at an idle, anything above that and it disappears, I've never worried too much about it I guess.

Same thing and your 4 year experience says it is not to be feared.

CTS2 05-26-2019 06:32 AM

92 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Boles (Post 3334931)
My SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) is when the oil is cold and viscosity higher there is enough drag on all the gears and bearings to never unload the gears.
When the oil is hotter and thinner the transmission turns much easier, due to resonate frequencies generated by all the turning parts including the engine there is rapidly loading and unloading of the gears creates the rattle you hear.
It’s just annoying, no functional adversity, in my tractors case just increasing idle speed 50 rpm would make it go away.
Oh, and my tractors transmission was green.

Sounds possible. Are you talking John Deere or Steiger? Or Fendt? Deutz maybe? I had a Steiger with no rattles to be heard at all.

I have spent a fair bit of time in a 9682 Versatile, with no rattle to be heard. This would be closer to my 9280 transmission than anything green, and yet didn't rattle.

CTS2 05-26-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTS2 (Post 3334913)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevlar (Post 3334769)

Don't know, sounds a bit like that type of thing, but do you know what the clutch is like on these? It's not a Spicer truck type clutch. It's in the transmission itself. I believe it is a multi plate wet clutch? More like a clutch pack? But I don't really know.

Anyone else know what type of clutch these have in the front of the transmission?

Johnny the Farmer 05-26-2019 07:16 AM

Check the cab mounts.

John