tune or chip 2013 case 600 quad track steinbauer? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
tune or chip 2013 case 600 quad track steinbauer?

Looking to tune our 600 quad track whats out there we had a steinbauer on our old 500 it seemed to work well. Don't know how safe would be to take it up over 700hp.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Rocky gets a lot of their new tractors tuned. Steinbauer was good years ago. Seem to be lots of trouble with the Steinbauer now. Some of Rockys big customers have 5 seasons on the big 700+ hp tunes. So far so good. I am sure that it is going to shorten the lifespan some on the tractor. Remains to be seen how much.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf1969 View Post
Looking to tune our 600 quad track whats out there we had a steinbauer on our old 500 it seemed to work well. Don't know how safe would be to take it up over 700hp.

I have considerable experience with that combination. I’m not sure quite what my own opinion is, the tractor has had a considerable repair history, but based on incidents of other much lesser powered tractors having the same issues it leaves some uncertainty for possible remedies.

My instinct tells me that extensive power shifting the larger Quadtrac’s may work harden the axle bearings by breaking through the oil film during pressure spikes, there’s no way to know. But, those bearings can wear until they are loose causing the axle seal to leak. It is unusable with a leaking seal since the entire assembly has hydraulic oil flow though it. Thankfully the return oil is filtered.

I’m guessing the tractor has about 2000 hours pulling a large drill, including slow passage though a lot of drains and about 1000 hours on a scraper with lots of power shifting. The other 1000 hours is likely just idling and transporting. If I had it all to do over again I would try to just throttle down more to get the drill through the drains and go to full throttle when the cart starts coming down the slope. It’s just the nature of the throttle program, even with the power module, that it needs to be wide open to produce maximum torque at lower RPM. Actually the outfit is heavy enough to control the acceleration with a bit of throttle control practice. Sometimes you just have to ease it back a bit again if it comes charging out too fast.

I would only gamble what you can afford to lose in any decisions in both setting or operating such an expensive machine.

Last edited by Haystack; 05-28-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would not get a chip or Steinbauer for that, only custom tuning can provide the maximum results and reliability you need. I talked to a lot of guys about this and they all got custom tuning done for all sort of equipment. Looking into this and comparing prices and feedback I go with these guys for sure. tuning24.org From what I know they are for 15 years in business and provide a lot of tuning to the big names, now they sell directly to the farmers. Yeah saving money for ones
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Tune - from research I’ve done, on the newer stuff anyway.

Heard good things about Reimer Tuning
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a nice power and delete tune available that machine and many others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page