Track tractor choice - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Track tractor choice

Looking at a track tractor for the seeding rig
Have the choice between a demo Challenger MT 856E, Versatile 620DT or a low hour Case Quad trac.
The Challenger is very well priced, but I dont know what the ride is like with these two trackers.
The Versy is new and a lot dearer than the challenger but well speced.
We have always had Case so I do know their product.
I am leading too the Challenger but unsure about the ride and berming on corners. Have a 50ft seeder so don't turn real tight.
What's everones opinions on these machines and wouid buying the Challenger be a mistake.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I’d go with the challenger. The cat motor is a great lugging engine and transmission is very reliable. I can’t comment on the ride compared to a four track tractor but I find both of my challengers pretty smooth in the field. On the road it’s a different story thou. Very rough ride on washboard. Berming is an issue if you haul it around in a tight turn but at 50 foot you should be ok. With tracks set out wider they will turn easier with less berming too. Not a quiet ride mainly because your sat behind a big engine and above the hydraulic pump. Check to make sure the undercarriage is in good shape. Can get speedy if it’s got issues.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The Challenger is a new one done 50 hrs of demos, so has the V12 Sisu which I think is quieter than the Cat engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2878 Post(s)
I have a 865E with 2000 hours on it now. They have done some off-season engine updates but it has never had any down-time in season for me. A couple of hydraulic remotes have caused issues but I have 6 so just switched when needed, the remotes are kind of a typical problem to be expected I hear. It's quiet with good torque.

As far as berming it's not too bad if fields are dry and firm, worse when soft or wet. Mine is fully weighted which doesn't help. Did run it on the roller this spring even.

I have owned several Quad-trac's in the past and do prefer the 4 track setup, but last few CNH tractors were not reliable unfortunately. The Challenger stuff has been very reliable and this two track has grown on me every year since I have run it, being reliable is part of that but other things like easy cab access is nice too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190514_111113.jpg (414.7 KB, 116 views)

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
We had a Challenger 965E (articulated) last year and couldn't get rid of that POS fast enough. Constant software, electrical and hydraulic issues. While it was down, we had an 875E loaner that left on a winch truck.

Between the 2 we ended up finishing seeding about 3 weeks late, and estimate that we lost about $500k in revenue at the end of the year.

Got a Versy 610DT for this year and were much happier with it. Only a parking brake issue. Cummins motor purred away. Same Cat transmission. Better cab. Quite at idle, similar when working.

Better turning than the 875E on hills and around wet spots, not that we had many of those this year. Pulls similar in a straight line, but maybe a bit rougher than the two track across last years rows
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Can’t comment on the deltrac, but any challenger I’ve been around was a hunk of ****, I’d go with the Case quadtrac.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2878 Post(s)
Well there you go, apparently they all break down. Maybe just roll the dice and hope you get a reliable one no matter the color.

Having some dealer support and keeping initial cost down is a good place to start.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
I would pick between Case & Versy, I’m not a two track fan, drove one for 5 years. I would ask do you have a autosteer preference? If you had no preference I would say Versatile, it’s gonna be way cheaper than Case.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Can’t really compare but the CAT challengers have been absolutely flawless for us EXCEPT the hydraulic remote issues but AGCO has been warranting them and hasn’t given us any down time other than the time to change hoses.

That said the Inline C18 Cats were clean under the hood. That V12 Sisu is a clusterfuck under there and just looks like an emissions bomb. 4 turbos and intercoolers and not a square inch for anything.

So I’m a bit shy of the E’s for now. The Sisu in our gator has been perfect though and the emissions hasn’t **** the bed yet either.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
For a 50’ seeder the new 700 series track Challenger could work. 440hp. Was under $1000/hp when I priced them, and CVT trans.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page