• 2 Post By albertabuck
  • 3 Post By whtbaron
  • 1 Post By daneg

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
5020 Ventilator Pump

I always wonder when I'm posting if I'm in the right section... not sure if it belongs in "Tractors" or "Antiques". I have an early series 5020 (1968 vintage) with the air pump on the front right side of the engine (called a ventilator pump in the parts book). About 4 yrs ago it started pumping oil so I took it into the dealer. They plugged the air line to the manifold with a ball bearing and told me not to worry about it. The pump apparently didn't do much and was discontinued on the later models. I did notice that occasionally when I idled down hot after that, the oil light flickered at idle like the pressure wasn't as high as it should be. The gauge looked normal while running.

Fast forward to last week, everything is running fine, but after sitting around a few days I thought the dipstick level was going up. The last time I serviced the injection pump, it took a couple front seals at the pump to get things sealed up, so I thought it might be leaking again. In the process of dropping some oil to take a sample for analysis, I noticed the oil wasn't coming out freely, and being male, poked my finger in the oil drain and some serious chunks of metal came out. It appeared to be pieces of timing gear, so off came the oil pan (more shrapnel under the pickup screen) and the timing cover.

There is a gear on the front of the Ventilator Pump that has lost teeth, and an idler that drives it that is ground almost smooth on one side. The good news is that all the other timing gears and drives for the injection pump look good, but if enough metal was floating around to ruin one seal, chances are there is more internal damage. How far we go is still up in the air ( it wasn't burning oil or leaking antifreeze anywhere prior to this) but my question is how do I deal with the 2 worn gears? If later 5020's didn't have the ventilator pump, can I simply remove the idler gear assembly or will that affect oil flow? Wondering if that might be the culprit with my oil light flickering at hot idle. There appears to be an eccentric and an oil galley at the base of it that makes me wonder if it is some kind of auxillary pump for just the ventilator pump, or does it feed other components as well? Anyone know what was in there for the later models with no pump?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm.... an idler on an eccentric. I'll bet that isn't an oiler, but a way to adjust the backlash on the drives to the air pump.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
I'd have to pull out some books to see exactly what was what, but I can say this much without doing so....there was a change in engine blocks in later production, if I recall correctly 28000? was where some big changes took place in the series, now whether the blocks changed at that point or not I can't say without looking into it. My advice would be spend some time on Jdparts.com and do some comparisons.
As for eliminating the pump and drive on yours, there will be oil flow ported for the pump and drives, so removing them will effect that, possible one could block off the galleries, but one would have to make sure it wasn't effecting things somewhere down the line. Also could effect lube of the actual front gears themselves.
I imagine it can be done. Have to admit I am wondering what happened that it ate the gears in the first place...
Transaxial and whtbaron like this.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Pretty sure when it started sucking oil 4 yrs ago that the seal/bushing in front was going bad. Over time it got bad enough to jamb the pump and start stripping gears. Even turning it over by hand it will jamb. I need to find a mechanic old enough to remember how to fix them, and young enough to remember what he did.
tswanson, kevlar and CSchraefel like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
River road repair swan river Manitoba will be able to help you. They are really good with older Jd and will give advice over the phone pat or Dave are the guys to talk to.
whtbaron likes this.

Last edited by daneg; 06-22-2019 at 11:04 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

I talked to a guy today that said he'd been around when they removed them... I'll have to find out if they removed the idlers or left them in. Got some pics of the shrapnel in the oil pan, the gears that need serious dental work, and my homemade puller to get the dampening pulley off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1426.JPG (326.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1438.JPG (268.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1439.JPG (201.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1425.JPG (277.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1434.JPG (310.0 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page