8430..again... stuck in gear - The Combine Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
8430..again... stuck in gear

I'm beginning to think this tractor is cursed. Haven't used it since seeding time, but I've been keeping it in the shed, so it's been backed in and out a few times... clutch hasn't acted up since I had it on the roller. Last night I'm backing it in the shed (first time I've used R2 backing up) and I heard a clunk. When I went to shut it down, I can't take my foot off the clutch without it wanting to stall out. It's like it's stuck in 2 gears. I tried everything I could think of with the shifters, running it in and out of reverse again, but no dice. Any experience out there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Are you talking about the older 4wd 8430? If so you can look at the shift linkages on the side of the transmission. We had our 8440 do some goofy stuf before changing shift cables. Also make sure the ends of the cables are in the hold down clamps properly our 8640 had a hold down come loose and it raised ****. If you have someone watch the linkages while you move things you may see what’s going on unless its in the 2 spd

albertabuck and whtbaron like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
I'm beginning to think this tractor is cursed.
I had one like that! Any time I went out to the shed and opened up the door, I would hear the devils chord!
whtbaron likes this.

Opportunity doesn't knock! It presents it'self when you beat down the door!

Last edited by lynas; 07-16-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
Are you talking about the older 4wd 8430? If so you can look at the shift linkages on the side of the transmission. We had our 8440 do some goofy stuf before changing shift cables. Also make sure the ends of the cables are in the hold down clamps properly our 8640 had a hold down come loose and it raised ****. If you have someone watch the linkages while you move things you may see whatís going on unless its in the 2 spd
Yea... it's the 70's 4 wd. I was wondering about the cables too, so far I haven't had anyone around to check but I'll do that. That clunk I heard backing into the shed has me worried though...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Really hoping you weren't running a lube pressure problem earlier, having a gear seize on a shaft will have the same effect as being locked in two gears at once, when in reverse some of those gears which idle on the shafts at times are turning backwards and if scored internally might have piled up...forgive me for posing possible worst case scenario, but I have seen similar in Deere syncro trannies before, and that is exactly what the gear box portion of a quad really is.
Your clunk has me thinking you got bigger fish to fry here.

As farmshop said, check your cables and even disconnect them and check the actual action of the shifters manually. Be careful doing such with it running, I would do so on a unit with issues like this with it well blocked up or on jackstands. And don't forget the front end as well. You can pull off the top cover as well if you can't find anything simple externally, and have a look at what happens when you try rolling it over by hand.
In my experience, nine times out of ten, shift cable issues originate in the console from things coming loose over time or improperly tightened or the cable hanging up inside the outer sheath. Check that they end of the sheath has not pulled away from the crimped on ends and that the rod end of the inner cable is not buckled or bending.
lanwickum and whtbaron like this.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
8630 gear problem

similar question, my 8630, gear shift broke off(by wife, sign I should not ask for her help) it was the 1-2, 3-4, R1-R2. Now repaired, it seem to stay only in "A" range. you can move it to B,C,D You can feel it normal soft grind as you move it into different ranges, but only goes as fast as range "A"
Thanks for your help
Ed
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Again I would check your cable movement. The ends under the shifter can come loose and not let the cable do it’s job
whtbaron likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
Really hoping you weren't running a lube pressure problem earlier, having a gear seize on a shaft will have the same effect as being locked in two gears at once, when in reverse some of those gears which idle on the shafts at times are turning backwards and if scored internally might have piled up...forgive me for posing possible worst case scenario, but I have seen similar in Deere syncro trannies before, and that is exactly what the gear box portion of a quad really is.
Your clunk has me thinking you got bigger fish to fry here.

As farmshop said, check your cables and even disconnect them and check the actual action of the shifters manually. Be careful doing such with it running, I would do so on a unit with issues like this with it well blocked up or on jackstands. And don't forget the front end as well. You can pull off the top cover as well if you can't find anything simple externally, and have a look at what happens when you try rolling it over by hand.
In my experience, nine times out of ten, shift cable issues originate in the console from things coming loose over time or improperly tightened or the cable hanging up inside the outer sheath. Check that they end of the sheath has not pulled away from the crimped on ends and that the rod end of the inner cable is not buckled or bending.
Well... my mechanic friend was over last night and we ran both shifters through all their motions... unfortunately for me, they all seem to be working fine so the problem appears to be internal. Next stop, take the top plate off the tranny. This could get ugly. There is one idler on the pinion shaft and if that's the issue, the axles have to come out to remove it. Tractor is now stuck sideways just inside the shed doors, jackknifed in front of the combine and swather on a gravel floor. Yeah... this should be fun...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I'd check the 2 speed before you pull trans part. It's in the clutch housing just remove the drive shaft in the hinge and see if it still stalls the tractor.
whtbaron likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Which drive shaft am I removing? I assume I'm just sliding one U joint towards the back?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page