Adjusting hydraulic pressure on White tractor - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Adjusting hydraulic pressure on White tractor

Wanted to adjust hyd psi on a White 185 tractor. Fairly easy process to adjust Compensator screw. max psi I could get is 2300. Shimmed the relief valve to make sure pump compensator wasn't set higher than main relief valve. Still can only get 2300 psi max. Set the compensator and relief valve pressures on a couple other Whites without trouble and could get 2500-2600 psi on the compensator and the relief at 2900 psi. Its got a Vickers axial piston pump. Was told that some pumps have an internal valve to limit max psi that isn't adjustable. I looked in the parts breakdown and could not find any other valves shown internally. Called a Hyd repair shop and really got no info from them other than send the pump in and they will set the psi to what i want. That leads to think there must be some other valve inside. Anyone with experience on the Vickers pumps that could tell me whether their is an internal valve and how to adjust it. Couldn't find anything by googling it and nothing on Eaton / Vickers Website other than the procedure to set relief and compensator valves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
That unit is rated for 2250, I just checked. Can I ask the obvious question, why in gods name do you need 3K pressure for? Do as you like, its your funeral as long as no one else is the one who is there when it happens, but you are asking for trouble, when you over load a system so much over spec, you are putting incredible stress on things and exceeding design limits on your valves, lines and more. Just because something can be done don't mean it is the thing to do. I'm commenting here based on experience, I have personally seen the carnage, both mechanical and bodily injury that can result from doing such.

A note for those older Vickers pumps, many of the parts for the older axial pumps are no longer available and when things go south you need to replace the entire unit on those, provided one is available. Most common ones I have heard of effected are in skid steers and swathers, but I would imagine it includes others. Seems for sure, pretty much anything with the Sperry star cast in the body for the most part are on that list.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Leave it alone higher than stock will blow your remotes apart to say the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I don't need or want 3000 psi. The main relief is only a safety valve if the compensator valve fails and is supposed to be set 250-300 psi higher than compensator psi and is what the system will max out at. Was wanting 2500-2600 psi max on the pump compensator. If running a hyd motor like on a hyd rock picker the load is near max compensator setting and the pump starts to destroke and you lose a lot of flow / gpm. A lot of newer equip is designed to work on the newer higher psi hyd on tractors. 2900 psi is quite common now. The last series of White tractors ran that same pump and hyd system and were set at a higher psi with identical components.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If you will provide the model code I'll break down the boxcars and tell you a little more about the pump you have installed. I know of no open circuit pump that has any internal valve that destrokes the pump and limits pressure unless it has a "horsepower control", this would be something one could determine with a breakdown of the model code. Some closed circuit pumps do though, if my memory serves me correctly Eaton Vickers uses the term "pressure cutout.

Last edited by steelman; 08-22-2019 at 08:37 PM. Reason: addition info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page