tractor stuck together - The Combine Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
tractor stuck together

I am splitting a 2290 case to fix the powershift. The split is between the engine and torque tube. Bolts are all out, stands are in place and set. According to the book the next step is to roll the front end of the tractor away from the back. This is a great idea but it doesn't work. Any other tractor I have split just kind of came apart. It was supposedly split at a shop four years ago.

Any tips or idea on how to get this thing into only two pieces?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 04:57 PM
bap

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Make sure to wedge some 2 by fours or something in the front axle so it cant tip from side to side on you...then I would maybe try to jack it up at the split with a bottle jack to break the gasket...once its split make sure to pull out the lube tubes for the powershift...I think there is two at the top of the trans at the front and 3 short ones under the valve body on the side(have to pull the valve body) they are threaded with o rings on them, just screw a bolt into them and pop them out.

albertabuck and lander2 like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:03 PM
bap

If its still stuck after the gasket is free, must be one of the shafts hanging up somehow in the flywheel or torque limiter in which case you just have to make sure everything is square and straight and wiggle jiggle pry carefully till it lets loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I have been wondering if it could be the gaskets. I did not have the nerve to give it a good working over to get the gaskets to break free. The starter was removed so I could turn the flywheel on the odd chance it was binding but that did not help.

I have some blocks pounded into the front end on the axle so there is no chance of it going over from that.

The older I get the more cautious I get. When I was younger the tractor would have been propped up on a jack all jack sitting on a skateboard.
bap likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

So..... Idiot of the day award goes to me, I am #1.

The official case service book showed four vertical bolts on each side of the block. I saw four vertical bolts on the side of the block and removed them. Somehow I am fortunate enough to own a tractor that some MF'er (not massey ferguson) decided it was a good idea to add two more bolts tying the thing together which are stuck up under the cab. You can just barely see them if you know where to look. One came out. I built a "wrench" to get at the other one but it only rotated far enough to break it loose, can't get another grip on it. apparently I am lifting the cab or getting an angle air wrench now.

Thanks for the help and apologies for my lack of brain power on this one.
albertabuck likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:23 PM
bap

Good you got er figured out...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Glad you got it. Everyone else probably had better advice than what I was going to suggest........ a cutting torch.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Anytime you start contemplating cutting torches and sledgehammers it is a better idea to sit down, have a coffee and relax for a few minutes. There is a reason I have this knowledge; was usually the end result. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

I am also realizing that when building stands you are not holding up the left side of the planet and don't have to build them as such.
bob123 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
I've had a few over the years that hung up in one way or another, been more than once I've seen splined input shafts wore to the point they were locked with the discs and you had to rock things and screw around to get them to part ways. Once had to undo the pressure plate bolts from an inspection hole even and let the clutch go with the tranny as the clutch disc was seized to the shaft.

Coming apart hard is one thing, but the way some guys force them back together just makes me cringe. Have seen damaged seals, broken blocks and clutch housings as result of them trying to use bolts to pull it together when all it needed was to be properly aligned.

And yes, I have missed the odd bolt here and there myself as well lol now and then there will be some inside the housing, those can bite ya if you don't have the book

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.

Last edited by albertabuck; 09-16-2019 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added comment
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Once ALL the bolts were out it came apart like nothing. Now I am back on the internet looking up "how to disconnect a terminal block without breaking it." I re-wired a combine after a fire a couple of years ago and I think that traumatized me on the electrical stuff.

Another thing that I have learned is that the front end rolls a lot better when the tires both have the right amount of air in them.

With my less than professional mechanical talents I have become quite adept at discerning the importance of leftover parts by looking at them.

adsinaus and bob123 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page