Steiger ST270 - should I? - The Combine Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CTS2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Steiger ST270 - should I?

After some advise as I'm seriously considering going for a ST270 coming up for auction soon.
20 speed, 7,000hr, good tyres and in good condition overall

I'm currently using a 7140 Magnum to pull a 27' 5000 bar on 9" spacing + 1330 Box
Now it does the job ok but it is at its limit traction and power wise for my hilly fields
So i'm looking at putting the 7140 on sprayer duties and upgrade to a bigger seeding tractor

Would I be right in thinking the ST270 will be a reasonable step up in pulling power, traction and lugging ability?
224 vs 181 drawbar hp at 5mph according to the Nebraska Tests?
Any unforeseen drawbacks beside the hydraulics?

I've seen a few guys on here have successfully modified the hydraulics so this doesn't worry me to much

Cheers, Rammy

Last edited by Rammy; 09-18-2019 at 03:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Check that you can still get transmission parts. Is it a manual transmission?

I am a bit fuzzy on the detail now and what I am about to say might not be 100% correct. A neighbor had an early STX450 manual. A main gearbox shaft was either not available or the repair cost $50,000 over ten years ago.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammy View Post
After some advise as I'm seriously considering going for a ST270 coming up for auction soon.
20 speed, 7,000hr, good tyres and in good condition overall

I'm currently using a 7140 Magnum to pull a 27' 5000 bar on 9" spacing + 1330 Box
Now it does the job ok but it is at its limit traction and power wise for my hilly fields
So i'm looking at putting the 7140 on sprayer duties and upgrade to a bigger seeding tractor

Would I be right in thinking the ST270 will be a reasonable step up in pulling power, tractor and lugging ability?
224 vs 181 drawbar hp at 5mph according to the Nebraska Tests?
Any unforeseen drawbacks beside the hydraulics?

I've seen a few guys on here have successfully modified the hydraulics so this doesn't worry me to much

Cheers, Rammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post
Check that you can still get transmission parts. Is it a manual transmission?

I am a bit fuzzy on the detail now and what I am about to say might not be 100% correct. A neighbor had an early STX450 manual. A main gearbox shaft was either not available or the repair cost $50,000 over ten years ago.
The ST270 is about 20 or more years older than the STX450 and they share nothing in common.

The old ST series Steigers are prone to problems in the clutch, transmission, universal joints, hub seals, and final drives. I can expand on any of these points if you want.

Good points - the engines if you get one with a 6 cylinder. The V8's, not so much. They pull well because they are built heavy. They have hardly any plastic to go brittle and crack.

Like anything, depends how it has been looked after.

In my mind, the worst thing is the cabin. The slope of the windscreen and rear window make it a house of mirrors from about 4pm to sundown. Perfectly angled to reflect straight into your eyes. At some times, you can be looking at the real sun, plus have the reflection of the sun that comes through the windscreen, reflecting off the rear window and then reflecting off the windscreen. Sometimes, if you are really lucky, you can get reflections from the side windows too, 3 or 4 sun reflections plus the real sun. Such fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Haven't had any of the above problems in 22 years. Hydraulic flow is less than desired, but there are ways to upgrade. Mine is 6 cal cat 8000 hrs. Going strong. To help prevent wheel seal leak, clean diff. breathers annually.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS2 View Post
The ST270 is about 20 or more years older than the STX450 and they share nothing in common.

The old ST series Steigers are prone to problems in the clutch, transmission, universal joints, hub seals, and final drives. I can expand on any of these points if you want.

Good points - the engines if you get one with a 6 cylinder. The V8's, not so much. They pull well because they are built heavy. They have hardly any plastic to go brittle and crack.

Like anything, depends how it has been looked after.

In my mind, the worst thing is the cabin. The slope of the windscreen and rear window make it a house of mirrors from about 4pm to sundown. Perfectly angled to reflect straight into your eyes. At some times, you can be looking at the real sun, plus have the reflection of the sun that comes through the windscreen, reflecting off the rear window and then reflecting off the windscreen. Sometimes, if you are really lucky, you can get reflections from the side windows too, 3 or 4 sun reflections plus the real sun. Such fun.

Thanks for the info just wondering what are the transmission issues you've had?

The cabin glare issues sounds like a bit of a problem as well, I wonder if there is an antiglare film that would be suitable? like a light tint?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Neighbours have really dark tint on their tractors, something about being able to see Netflix, and they reckon there’s no worries about seeing through it at night
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammy View Post
Thanks for the info just wondering what are the transmission issues you've had?

The cabin glare issues sounds like a bit of a problem as well, I wonder if there is an antiglare film that would be suitable? like a light tint?
Transmission - we never had any failures. Ours had been rebuilt before we bought it and went okay until we sold it. However, they were famous for needing to be rebuilt at 4,000 to 5,000 hours or the bearings would eventually allow the gears to fall out of mesh. There was also issues with gears coming loose and fretting on the splined shaft. It's a Spicer twin countershaft box, similar design to what you would find in a truck. I always wondered if by design they were not really suited to the application - in a truck they would spend a large amount of time in top gear, with the power going straight through the mainshaft and direct couple to the output shaft, whereas in a tractor they spend almost all the time in the lower gears with the power flow going through the countershafts to get to the output shaft. Final drives were worse, I was into ours a few times for worn gears, bearings, and leaking hub seals. If you can find a Kondinin Group Farming Ahead reliability report you will get a similar story.

I never considered tinting the windows, I have never seen the attraction of it on any vehicle, as I wouldn't wear sunglasses at night time. I've never seen glare complaints in reliability reports, but if you look at the angle of the windows, and follow some simple laws of physics you should be able to see what I mean.

Another good point I forgot to mention is the big wide dashboard - good for putting stuff on, like notebooks, clipboards, etc.
Rammy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page