Turbo till? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Turbo till?

Has anyone used one of these and what was you experence? Thinking about trying one out here. We are making too many passes over the field and looking at one of these. We are in SE washington and have a silt loam type soil. Right now on irrigated acres we are plowing in Dec/Jan. Discing right after. Culivating in Feb, then packing twice. In other words burning alot of diesel and compacting the soil. Father isn't too interested in changing the operation. But things change might demo one next year. Also has anyone used it after harvest to kill weeds like Russian thistle and Kosha?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 04:57 PM

Re: Turbo till?

i presume that you mean a great plains turbo till. i have spent quite a few hours operating one. one of the main uses we had for it was for residue management. where i was working we grew corn and squash and this tool was very effective at breaking up the residue and incorporating it into the soil. for general cultivation it was OK, in the configuration we had i don't know if it would reduce the number of passes, but this would depend on how friable your soil is.
we used to often go into a paddock and use a big set of disc's, then just do 2 or 3 passes with the turbo till and then plant into that.
here a couple of pictures of our turbo till

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 07:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 4710driver

We have a customer in our area who tried one this fall. Guys are starting to use them instead of stalk shredders,they run at an angle at around 8-9 mph,then they run the disc ripper through,really a nice looking job,the residue is mixed in and sized nicely. These guys are planning on just making a pass ahead of the planter or drill and being done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Hello,
I'm from southern Ontario and in my county I only know of one farmer using this. Around here, a lot of people use Salfords RTS. But we have wondered about the turbo till being better since there would be more pressure on the coulters. Because on the RTS they are on individual springs. You run the same speed with the turbo till and the RTS. Just wondering if anyone has used both and knows a difference??

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page