slowing the planter rate - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
slowing the planter rate

Here in southeast CO, we are planting dryland corn at a rate of 14,000-15,000 seeds per acre. We are looking to plant 12,000 per acre. Does anyone have any ideas on how to slow a 1710 JD planter to this rate? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: slowing the planter rate

Does your planter have the transmission, or the hydraulic drive?

It's prolly gonna be hard to slow it down more than you currently are, if you are on the slowest (right now). I while back, I heard of a fella that changed the transmission combination (different from OEM) to achieve the desired rate. If you have the transmission, you might check with Deere, and see if they can sell you another sprocket that will change the gear ratio to something you can live with. If it's hyd. driven, I really don't have a clue as to slowing it down more.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: slowing the planter rate

Off the top of my head my first thought is have you installed the low rate sorghum sprocket? I had a 7000 Deere it had a sprocket installed on the input shaft that slowed it down for milo. This is just a thing you might check out. you'll probablly have to do a spacing check as the manaul won't have rates this low for corn, Haha. I live in SW KS so I know what you guys are doing.Joke. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page