John Deere 7000 Planter Question - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
John Deere 7000 Planter Question

Hi guys,

I recently bought a John Deere 6 row 7000 corn planter on 30 inch rows. I live in Northwest Oklahoma where we raise mostly wheat and not many row crops. This is also the first time that I have really been around a planter and I was wondering if you guys could help me with a few questions. I am wanting to double crop some milo in with the planter after wheat harvest is completed. The planter is set up for no till and also has liquid fertlizer. It currently has the finger style pick up system installed in the boxes and it also came with the Kinze style brush meter sytsem that has a set of plates for soybeans and the other set says large milo. The question I was wanting to ask is about the finger pick up system, is the finger pick up system a more universal system, like a one size fits all seeds from corn to milo, or does it take different fingers for different seeds? The previous owner said he had been using it to plant milo the last time he used it. Any time and help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
JD105404T

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The finger pickup meter is for corn. The brush meter is for soybeans and milo was or is still planted with a feed cup meter similar to the soybean feed cup. I'm not sure if Deere and kinze made a specific milo finger pick up meter.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
The finger meters are just for corn and sunflowers (although different fingers are needed to handle small oilseed flowers). The brush meter isn't just for soybeans; it will plant anything they make discs for, which you know already because you have a set of milo discs. As long as the brushes and discs are in good shape, it's hard to beat a brush meter.

We use the 30-cell Large Milo discs for all of our milo. If we've got really small seed (>15k/pound) it might throw more doubles, but it isn't a big deal. We have a set of 60-cell Small Milo plates, but we can't turn them slowly enough for dryland rates; they would be good for forage sorghum or sudan grass.

Last edited by okpanhandle; 06-04-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

First I would like to thank you for all the great help and information. I do have another question and will probably have even more later on. I will probably use the 30 cell milo seed plates and I was curious how many pounds per acre of milo seed are you planting on 30 inch rows in a dryland situation. I was also curious what sprockret combination you are using for that seeding rate on a John Deere 7000 planter. Again guys your time and help is highly appreciated.

Thanks Again,
JD105404T
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 09:17 AM

I can't think in pounds per acre, there is just too much variation in seed size between different hybrids and lot numbers. We've been planting 25k seeds per acre since it's so dry, but if we started the season with good subsoil moisture then we'll go up to 30k. Some guys here will plant 18-20k, but the way I see it, 25k will yield more if it rains, and if it doesn't rain it won't matter how much you planted. Milo seed is cheap.

Doublecropping is a slightly different situation. I've been told that you want to plant a little heavier to limit tillering (the crop would mature more evenly), but since you're dryland and don't get much more rain in the summer than we do I would be leery of planting more than 35k. It's kind of a crapshoot; milo can compensate very well for thin stands, but can fall flat on its face if it's just a little too thick and you miss a timely rain. I think I would shoot for 30k, that's a nice round number.

I can't help with the sprocket settings as our both of our planters have hydraulic drives (and aren't Deeres). Maybe someone else will chime in. If you're lucky, since the previous owner planted milo with it last everything will be close.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I have been doing some figuring and it looks like I may have another question. I have the operators manual for this planter and I also have the brochure for the milo seed I might plant. I think we may either plant Alta 1203 or Dekalb 37-07. The operators manual bases its seed count on 18k seeds per pound while Alta bases their seed count on a 13k seeds per pound. So if we wanted to acheive 30k seeds per acre or around 2.3 pound per acre I would actually need to set the planter for about 1.7 pounds per acre for low rate sorgum, which shows the sprocket combination would be 16 on the driver and 28 on the driven. This is the next question I have, were the original John Deere seed cups for low rate sorgum a 30 cell, like the Kinzes I have or were they a different cell count?

Also okpandhandle, is your milo under irrigation or dryland or do you have both. I have been through Guymon a few times and have seen alot of center pivots.

Thanks Again,
JD105404T
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:25 AM

I've never been around Deere feed cups, but I'm pretty sure they're like a fluted drill meter. They don't have cells like a brush meter disc.

I remember a similar topic coming up somewhere else, where someone was trying to figure a sprocket setting for brush meters. I'm not entirely sure on this, but look at your corn chart and multiply the population numbers by 2.5, then select the sprockets that match closest to 30k. The reasoning is, a finger meter will drop 12 seeds per revolution, and the brush meter will drop 30 (2.5x the finger meter). Hopefully that will get you in the ballpark.

Our milo is almost all dryland. We do have some on very limited irrigation, but we've been treating it the same as dryland. I really like it under full irrigation, and would like to do more someday.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Again I would like to thank you for all the great help and information that you have provided me with. I think we got the planter set to the population we are hoping for. I do have another question though. This planter came with a John Blue ground drive pump and a Hawkins fertilizer system. Since we always put down the fertilizer down for wheat that our Elevators suggest, our agronomist doesnt think we need to put anymore fertilizer down for the double crop milo. I was curious if anyone has taken a liquid fertilizer system like this and used it to spray herbicide behind the planter. If anyone has done this I was wondering if you could explain to me how to do it and what parts I might need. Again any time and help is highly appreciated.

Thanks Again,
JD105404T
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you replace the main drive clutch on a 7000 6 row it is a really old one looks like it will be a involed thing any one know a quick way to do
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Dont think there's a quick to do it. It's not hard but time consuming. Biggest thing is everything is probably fairly snug from being together for all those years.
I've seen some converted to a kinze type drive where a small drive wheel rides on top of the planter wheel. (Jamison? I think its called) if I have to replace the clutches I think I'd go that route. Way simpler.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page