The Combine Forum banner

Vertical tillage

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Haystack 
#1 ·
I am thinking of getting a salford independent 2100 with broudcast dry fertilizer, banding & nh3 to do custom work spring and fall in southern mn. I'm just wondering if the salford is the right way to go and if there's enough demand in the area. feedback please

#2 · (Edited)
That's an interesting thought. What are the realistic options for ammonia placement within the toolbar system? If I were a customer, I wouldn't pay for a bunch of wagon tracks on a field that I just paid to get VT'ed, but obviously there are situations where that wouldn't be a great concern.

The granular broadcast and incorporated approach shouldn't have too many negatives with much significance. I would say a tow between cart would be essential, even if it's just for the customer perspective. One thing to be aware of, if you put a 70 000 lb. air cart in front of a vertical tillage tool and expected to pull it fast on soft subsoils in the spring, you may get a rude awakening.

It's pretty easy to build a load combination now days that there is no tractor built yet with enough horsepower to pull in the conditions you will encounter.

I have no idea if you are looking toward the right brand of machine for the job.

Years ago, when I sold ammonia application equipment, there were references to drop line configurations for discs that were used in the south, but all we ever dealt with up here were shank configurations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.