Bourgault 3710 review - Page 36 - The Combine Forum
 125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #351 of 539 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
IMG_1818.jpg

Well here we go. I am ready to install $10,000 worth of of otico wheels with farm flex tires on the 60' 3710 to replace all the original cleaner wheels. Last spring the original cleaner wheels seemed solid after the rebuild but started falling off the drill during planting spring of 2017, they were failing quickly. The plastic wheel wore out around the bearing, wheel and bearing were shot. I ran a few farm flex tires last spring and I was very happy with their performance.

I also have to replace the mounting bolt with a longer bolt a 5/8" x 3 1/2" works well ( cost $86.00). Bolts are torqued to 130ft lbs. red lock tight is on threads of all cleaner wheel mounting bolts on left side of machine.

This is the same wheel bourgault is using on the current 3720.

Last edited by cat man; 04-22-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 539 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
What was originally on the 3710? My 2015 has Mudsmiths, but the new one has the Oticos. Which kind were you having issues with?

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #353 of 539 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure the brand of the originals but they where the plastic 3" wheel. I'll clean one up and see if I can find a identifying mark on them. Last season I ran mudsmith next to the otico w/farmflex tire and in my opinion mudsmith builds a better wheel but the farm flex tire was hard to beat. I'm in heavy clay soils and the otico shed the mud off and where clean while the mudsmith just built up with mud and grew taller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #354 of 539 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man View Post
Last season I ran mudsmith next to the otico w/farmflex tire and in my opinion mudsmith builds a better wheel but the farm flex tire was hard to beat. I'm in heavy clay soils and the otico shed the mud off and where clean while the mudsmith just built up with mud and grew taller.
That's good to know. I someday will have to change the gauge wheels on my CNH drill and maybe should get some of the Otico wheels to try. Where are you sourcing them from? Website doesn't list dealers.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #355 of 539 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauppfarms View Post
What was originally on the 3710? My 2015 has Mudsmiths, but the new one has the Oticos. Which kind were you having issues with?

A few new drills from that period were ordered without the standard plastic cleaner wheels. Both a 3710 (2014) and its replacement in 2015, the first year it was available, a 3720 70' high flotation were shipped without cleaner wheels and had customer installed Mudsmithes. I agree that they are a good strong wheel but evolving tire designs could be an improvement over the traditional common ones that are widely used.

We had used Mudsmithes for years in the past on a different drill, the present design has much sturdier bearing holders than the early pressed steel ones.
post #356 of 539 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
That's good to know. I someday will have to change the gauge wheels on my CNH drill and maybe should get some of the Otico wheels to try. Where are you sourcing them from? Website doesn't list dealers.
I looked for them all over and could not find anywhere at the time that sold them. I ended up purchasing them through a bourgault dealer.
SWMan likes this.
post #357 of 539 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
A few new drills from that period were ordered without the standard plastic cleaner wheels. Both a 3710 (2014) and its replacement in 2015, the first year it was available, a 3720 70' high flotation were shipped without cleaner wheels and had customer installed Mudsmithes. I agree that they are a good strong wheel but evolving tire designs could be an improvement over the traditional common ones that are widely used.

We had used Mudsmithes for years in the past on a different drill, the present design has much sturdier bearing holders than the early pressed steel ones.

one other option I considered was to order mud smith wheels with no tires on them from mudsmith and then source replacment farm flex tires from bourgault dealer. Then run mudsmith wheels with farm flex tires. That would be a great combination. The otico wheels are a pressed steel wheel with a cast bearing holder.
post #358 of 539 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 06:28 PM

We are using the latest version of Bourgault's LDX scrapers on a 3720 this spring and I must admit I'm impressed so far. I think the consensus here is that it's doing a better job of in furrow placement than a John Deere, which is a pretty high bar to match.

For those without first had experience with Bourgault disc openers here are a few photos with the basics explained.

There are some differences between these scrapers and the first year of this design, I believe the differences are primarily an improved internal seed passageway in the casting and a different mounting location for the firmer to allow it to be longer and more flexible.

This is what the opener looks like turned upside down. Bourgault's name for the black composite finger is "The Trailing Firmer". It slides in the furrow above the seed and rubs some soil off the furrow sides and fills the lower part with clean soil. The stepped packer/closer tire compresses the the surface zone closed by crushing the most vertical of the two furrow walls downward and slightly sideways.

https://pasteboard.co/HjYmGWF.jpg

In the photo below, Bourgault calls the little flap in the middle of the photo "The Forward Finger". It trails the seed delivery passage opening and works much like a mud flap on a truck to reduce seed bounce and air washing. It's relatively flexible and seems to have an unintended benefit of bending the opposite direction and partly covering the seed opening if you have to turn tight in the mud and run the end of the drill backwards.

It does all this nonchalantly, without leaving expensive pieces behind in the mud, unlike trying to back up your stuck truck.

https://pasteboard.co/HjYwUoX.jpg

Last edited by Haystack; 05-06-2018 at 10:06 PM.
post #359 of 539 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:23 PM

This photo shows the Trailing Firmer in the furrow after stoping with the openers in the soil. This shot was taken after a rolling stop planting canola with the fan continuing to run at 5000 RPM in moist medium textured soil. The disc and scraper boot are just to the left in the photo and the packer closer wheel is just to the right side of the shot.

https://pasteboard.co/HjZJzSv.jpg

The lower photo is looking forward down a furrow toward the drill where it has just passed at 7.3 MPH. This is the happiest I've ever been with canola placement using this much travel speed. It's almost impossible to find a blue seed on the surface if you go for a walk. This is being done with the seed brakes removed from the machine and on runway smooth fields in the direction of travel. If there were furrowing or ruts at an angle or if the surface was cobbled we would need to slow down to keep the openers calm.

https://pasteboard.co/HjZMXqy.jpg

Last edited by Haystack; 05-06-2018 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Clarity
post #360 of 539 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Haven't used mine much yet but so far I have to agree with Haystack that I'm liking what I'm seeing with the 3720 with LDX scraper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page