Bourgault 3710 review - Page 46 - The Combine Forum
 125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #451 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Here is a pic of 2017 scraper on left and 2018 scraper on right. I ran both this season. my 2017 scrapers got updated to the flexible finger. That is the vertical rubber piece right behind the seed slot. improvement was that the seed firmer on the new design is held firmly in place. my 2017 scrapers the seed firmer was loose right out of the box. 2017 firmer had so much movement that the firmer was out of the ground due to excessive movement in the mount.

Otico wheel were a success. Very happy with that change over.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1948.JPG (1.90 MB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man View Post
Here is a pic of 2017 scraper on left and 2018 scraper on right. I ran both this season. my 2017 scrapers got updated to the flexible finger. That is the vertical rubber piece right behind the seed slot. improvement was that the seed firmer on the new design is held firmly in place. my 2017 scrapers the seed firmer was loose right out of the box. 2017 firmer had so much movement that the firmer was out of the ground due to excessive movement in the mount.

I gotta check my 2018 model and see if its the same scraper as on the right, guess I never looked closely enough. Is bourgault helping with the price of these scrapers to switch up their poor designs every year? I know they helped when we changed our 2016 model drill to the scrapers on the left but it was still like 8k in parts plus our labor. How significant was the improvement for the 2018 scraper? We had a lot of issues with plugging boots on the scrapers on the left but the newer drill had very little to no issues... I gotta see if its the same as that one on the right.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #453 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauppfarms View Post
I gotta check my 2018 model and see if its the same scraper as on the right, guess I never looked closely enough. Is bourgault helping with the price of these scrapers to switch up their poor designs every year? I know they helped when we changed our 2016 model drill to the scrapers on the left but it was still like 8k in parts plus our labor. How significant was the improvement for the 2018 scraper? We had a lot of issues with plugging boots on the scrapers on the left but the newer drill had very little to no issues... I gotta see if its the same as that one on the right.

The scraper on the left cost me about $7,200 out of pocket. The flexible finger update was fee of charge. The scrapers on the right will cost me and additional $7,200. I am considering drilling the old scraper to modify it to accept the new seed firmer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man View Post

Could you tell me what the spacing is between the mounting bolts? I wonder if these scrapers would fit on my Pillar drill.
post #455 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I was set to have my first trouble free planting season in 2018 then this happened. This is the rear pivot that the cleaner wheel and packer wheel pivot on. This was the first update bourgault did. Only two bearings where installed at the time with no spacer. I found that the bearings slid to one side of the pin creating side load allowing the pin to move and let dust in. This drill was operated in extreme drought like dusty conditions in 2017 and 2018. I just installed the Oticos and every pivot was tight at the beginning of the season than 800 acres later, I noticed a bunch of movement in my cleaner wheels. It looked like allot of movement in the pivot so I pulled one apart. Seals were wiped out and full of dust. and it was quick almost half had failed already. NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH IN THE MIDDLE OF PLANTING!!!!so I installed new bearings and seals on completely failed ones and went to daily greasing just to get by and get the crop in. Grease forced the dirt out every morning, I knew pins were shot already. I did not have one rain delay in planting this season. I pulled the drill out of the shed on May 1st and backed it in the shed on May 20th.

I now have 144 seals, 144 bearing, 72 spacers and 72 greaseable pins to install in the rear pivot for a complete rebuild of that pivot. This all cost me a little over $1,000 parts.

Dry conditions really took the disk blades down fast. But I am impressed at how sharp they are. they seem to be self sharpening. You don't want to grab ahold of them without leather gloves on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1955.JPG (1.39 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1960.JPG (1.04 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1954.JPG (1.82 MB, 3 views)
post #456 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triticum Agricolam View Post
Could you tell me what the spacing is between the mounting bolts? I wonder if these scrapers would fit on my Pillar drill.
center to center is 2 3/4"
Triticum Agricolam likes this.
post #457 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
By the circular wear marks on those pins it looks like the pins might have been worn from when your unit had itís worn out brass bushings in it.

The 70 foot 2014 3720 I get to drive thatís had needle bearings since new, doesnít have a single worn needle bearing in it after 40,000 acres. Itís possible the 2014ís and newer use case hardened pins, I donít know? This one has been greased about eight times.
post #458 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
By the circular wear marks on those pins it looks like the pins might have been worn from when your unit had itís worn out brass bushings in it.

The 70 foot 2014 3720 I get to drive thatís had needle bearings since new, doesnít have a single worn needle bearing in it after 40,000 acres. Itís possible the 2014ís and newer use case hardened pins, I donít know? This one has been greased about eight times.
No the pins were replaced with a greasable pin when bourgault first updated that pivot point. The original pins were not drilled and tapped for a grease zerks. You can see the hole in the center of the pin where the grease would come out. The later units updated at the factory had grease zerks installed in the casting of the opener and solid pins.

Those wear marks are from the bearings moving inside the opener body. Only two bearings were installed at the time. Once the bearings moved over to one side the pin could move around allowing dirt in the seal. Bourgault found out that this was not working, and that is why your drill has a plastic spacer between the bearings to keep them spread apart. Or else three bearings installed if a plastic spacer was not available.

I pulled a couple parallel arm pivots apart with three bearings installed just to check them out and they seem fine.
I have three bearings installed in all other pivots. Now this packer pivot will get two bearings and a plastic spacer just like the drill that is currently being produced.
Haystack likes this.
post #459 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8850Champion View Post
I had an engineer tell me once that the angle of a smaller disk with the ground was better than a bigger disk. He might have been BS'ing me as he was a JD engineer.
It's completely true. This might help you visualize it:

https://www.exapta.com/blade-size-no-till-openers/

-----
-- Matt Hagny,

consulting agronomist since '94, founder Exapta Solutions ('99)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #460 of 539 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt hagny View Post
It's completely true. This might help you visualize it:

https://www.exapta.com/blade-size-no-till-openers/
So whatís would be your suggestions for bourgault owners as to what to do with the discs? Is there a smaller aftermarket disc available? Should we keep running ours down to 16Ē? Do we need to be sharpening somehow?

Any inquiries-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page