Bourgault 3710 review - Page 48 - The Combine Forum
 125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #471 of 539 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauppfarms View Post
Hey just wondering if you ended up buying new scrapers or modified your old ones? Looks like drilling the holes wouldn't be too bad, need to cut off the piece that held on the old style seed firmer and then add something like it back below the front bolt hole to keep the new seed firmer in place.
The plan is to modify my existing scrapers. I haven't purchased new scrapers. It doesn't look to bad to modify, depending on how hard of material it is going to be to drill through. I'll be trying one shortly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #472 of 539 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt hagny View Post
I have yet to see a compound angle (opener tilted from vertical) improve cutting. Mostly what this does is cause the machine to pull really hard, and screws up seed placement because there's more lifting and therefore more soil falling in ahead of the seed. Larger blades are always worse for cutting.

Your argument about there being few aftermarket upgrade products for Bourgault doesn't hold water -- the same can be said about SeedHawk, Morris, ConservaPak, Pillar Laser, etc. The companies doing aftermarket upgrades focus on the largest market share -- the drill opener models that dominate the market. (In the case of Exapta, we focus on making the 'least bad' NT openers better, not starting with 'more bad' ones that have bigger design flaws that cannot be overcome without essentially scrapping the opener and starting over.)

Bourgault builds rugged equipment, and their disc drills don't plug much -- but I think you'd better stop extolling their virtues with those 2 items.

respectfully,
I agree with you on most of your points, but I have seen a "stock" Bourgault disc establish better stands than a "stock" John deere. I think it is purely due to the Bourgault moving a little more dirt and accidently causing more soil contact due to its flaws. As a result it appears to hairpin less. When both drills are set to seed deeper I don't see a much of a difference with hairpinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
Believe it or not there could be some reasons why you donít always want every seed in the very bottom of the seed slot formed by a disc in some of the cold and almost saturated northern soils. Itís likely one of the reasons why independent hoe drills are still going to be king up here for awhile yet. Generally, soil saturation and temperatures of the seed environment determine seeding dates and percentage of seed survivability. Very few of us Canadians have any concerns about sunstroke or any penchant for seeding a crop twice.
Haystack, you are forever an optimist.... There is no way that I would ever not prefer the seed to be at uniform depth in bottom of seed slot. The main reason around here that people purchase independent hoe drills are the lack of maintenance when compared to disc drills. I can understand the cold wet soil issues that some people may have, but I don't have those problems in my area.

post #473 of 539 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8850Champion View Post
Haystack, you are forever an optimist....

From a pure production point of view I would have always preferred to wait for optimum soil temperature and moisture conditions for small seeds and have the capability to reseed it all, but it would have taken too much equipment for the owner to play the long game where the land is just there. A different goal would require a different approach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #474 of 539 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man View Post
The plan is to modify my existing scrapers. I haven't purchased new scrapers. It doesn't look to bad to modify, depending on how hard of material it is going to be to drill through. I'll be trying one shortly.
Try any yet? I've tried fancy bits and not having any success getting through this stuff.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #475 of 539 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Try any yet? I've tried fancy bits and not having any success getting through this stuff.
Can you get some sort of glue, buff the paint off and just glue a flat heat bolt to the scraper?

I doubt you can weld it, but maybe a good glue would last long enough to wear of the scrapers.

Follow me on Twitter @ndykmn
post #476 of 539 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirschenman View Post
Can you get some sort of glue, buff the paint off and just glue a flat heat bolt to the scraper?

I doubt you can weld it, but maybe a good glue would last long enough to wear of the scrapers.
Used a good plasma and just blasted holes. Not fancy looking but is gonna do the same job. The previous castings for the old style seed firmer lines up nice for holding the new style in place. Bolt that goes through to hold the new firmer isnít counter sunk on the wear side so weíll have to keep an eye on how the flat bolt head wears but thereís still paint on the scraper around it so I donít think itíll wear too much.
cat man likes this.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #477 of 539 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Scraper adjustment: I am finding that if you simply move the scraper up a notch while adjusting, this dirt stays in there and later the scraper will loosen up and change it’s setting from the disk. Now I completely drop the scraper assembly and clean both notched surfaces with a 3/4” wire brush. Set scraper height and torque center bolt to 120ftlbs. Everything has stayed nice and tight and I haven’t had to readjust any scrapers during season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D40ABC3C-464F-4F1D-B25F-DD402BAA1FB9_1540179989475.jpeg (856.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpeg E111D488-FA94-4093-AA44-D1A2B7FB8B50_1540180041398.jpeg (1.62 MB, 9 views)
post #478 of 539 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

No success here with drill bits. These cast scrapers are very hard.
post #479 of 539 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man View Post
Scraper adjustment: I am finding that if you simply move the scraper up a notch while adjusting, this dirt stays in there and later the scraper will loosen up and change itís setting from the disk. Now I completely drop the scraper assembly and clean both notched surfaces with a 3/4Ē wire brush. Set scraper height and torque center bolt to 120ftlbs. Everything has stayed nice and tight and I havenít had to readjust any scrapers during season.

That's a problem with the Pillars as well. I have cracked some adjustment plates using an impact to try to suck them tight. It really isn't quick adjust when you need to drop everything apart and take a wire brush to it...
Triticum Agricolam likes this.

Follow me on Twitter @ndykmn
post #480 of 539 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Well here we go replacing the failed bearings in the packer cleaner pivot. This was the first area Bourgault updated to bearings instead of dry bushings. At this time Bourgault installed 2 bearings in this pivot with nothing between them. Over time we found that the bearings either slide to one side or they both slide into the middle of the housing. This allowed the seals to get wiped out easily being so far from the bearings. They filled with dirt and went out quickly.

This current update includes a plastic spacer between the bearings. I am removing all cleaner/packer assemblies and installing this update. Pins are all coming out extremely hard. Bearings are all together either in the middle or off to one side.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EE2FB16A-A481-4300-BFBC-D4FD63E0B211_1553687978296.jpeg (1.31 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpeg 2C6CB401-E504-4EF1-865C-9C92DCB46173_1553687997529.jpeg (1.26 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg 68C11849-793D-4513-8C08-46A37D973CA0_1553688014769.jpeg (1.12 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg AFFD59BB-6DDB-4008-9DE0-9E5E9769322F_1553688032419.jpeg (957.7 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page