Concord 5012 drill with Case IH 3400 cart - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There is a direct seed (no-till) workshop at the Shilo- Inn in Idaho Falls this Wednesday. I assume you are in Ashton Tetonia area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by GleanerFanatic View Post
So just one more question. We don't do any no-till. Before we plant, the field is summer fallowed and cultivated. With this, is there any reason that I would need the disk levelers, or would we be fine without? Also, we don't use NH3.

If you are zero tilling, then the disk levelers would help close in the furrows.

If you are going into well worked fields, I'd forget about them...

There's 2 extra bearings, 2 disks, and a spring, and a bushing to worry about...

What kind of openers are on it? That's probably one of the most important aspects... along with the kind of packing tire, you could get a car tire, a implement tire, and a "special" concord tire.

You adjust the packing profile, and pressure by how many psi are in the tire, in wet soil running the packers at 10psi keeps the ground from crusting. If it's dry, running up to 30psi will give you a seed bed that's nice and firm similar to a regular drill packer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Barn
Your 9400T should pull it if it is heavily weighted. We ran a 9400T one spring pulling a 45 foot JD air drill with 500 gallon NH3 bottles on each side making for great weight to make it go. Hooked the same drill on a 9520T without enough weight and it would go forward but not turn with the drill in the ground so yes ballast is important in the hills. The biggest problem with the 9400T was when you had to shift down 3-5 gears to pull hills and not have a power shift transmission was the tractor immediately stopping when clutching to shift when you hit lower gears. It was then best to keep it in the lower gear until a corner when you could then shift up because if the tractor stopped there is a delay getting going making seed skips from the time the grain leaves the cart and gets to the opener. Flatter ground and not having to drop that many gears solves that issue as the high/low in a gear is then adequate.

For the cart you will want axle extensions or duals. Several carts have upset in the hills around here. I also upset one within a week of ownership. It is a steep learning curve. There is a lot of weight on one side on hills. I had it push the cart popping the bead on the tubeless tire throwing it down hill and catching the rim and then it pushed on that and broke the hub and over it went breaking the hitches front and rear. I will only run duals on our cart after that.

As others have asked the air drill will do a good job but why a shank drill for conventional ground? Are you planning to fertilize with it at some point?

Attached is a picture of the JD tractor and drill we ran one spring and it is on a steep side slope in the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deereairdrillandtractor4-2-04sm.JPG (68.6 KB, 45 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Barn
As for getting an air drill, most of the farmers around our area use bigger air drills, and as I said earlier, I am new to them, so I am trying to still learn and see if getting one is the best fit for us. There is a lot of spots in our ground where it is very rocky, so disk drills won't work, so hoe drills are our only option. I was looking at a set of 50' John Deere 9450 drills earlier this year, but then I decided to look into air drills just to see it they would work for us. We usually don't fertilize when we seed, although we have though about starting to put some dry fertilizer down with the seed just to help get the wheat up and better established before winter. For our conventional ground, would you recommend normal drills then? Here are pictures of the Concord 5012 and the John Deere 9450 drills that I have been looking at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img.jpg (1.00 MB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 66d744d3-a6b8-4429-af0f-9f635684e9c4.jpg (85.7 KB, 32 views)
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
I don't recommend the 9450's

I don't know how big your rocks are but a friend of mine use to have the perfect seeder for what it sounds like you want to do, it was a 45' 8500 Case IH with a 1900 Deere cart on it

Like Idaho said go check out the workshop, I think you may want to take something like it into consideration looking into a seeder, you may find it very interesting

I can't tell for all the mud on the openers but stealth maybe? Can't really tell, the concord looks pretty nice

God Bless America
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Barn
What openers would you recommend for well worked fields? All I've heard about or seen are the dutch, anderson, and stealth openers. Are there any other types of openers that work well? or are these the main types?
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
You could simply go with the ld sweeps they work well in worked ground and they can kill some weeds too.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck
The openers you have on there are a stealth I think. They won disturb the ground much at all.

It depends what you want to do. We run Farmland boots and chrome sweeps eith a 4 inch spreader... because we want to seed at higher rates and use more of the seed bed... but we are also much cooler and I think wetter than you.

Big thing to remember is the larger the opener the harder it will pull

Also a bigger spread means you can put more fertilizer with the seed safely.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I run concord seeders. I have dutch 5.5" split row openers on with nh3 down the middle. We pull a 60' with a 9880 versatile set to 440hp with full weights ~ 38,000#. With a 3400 cart full and twin 1000g nh3 tanks it can be a load. We don't have hills but we do have wet spots. Wet spots are the killer when you run out of traction. Power isn't too bad, we try not to seed over 5-5.5mph. It's actually pretty a,aging we can pull 60' at 5mph but tried pulling a 40' at 6.5-7mph banding fertilizer and didn't have the right gear or enough power to pull it. I plan on pulling a 4812 with 2300 cart and twin nh3 tanks this spring with a 9480 set at 350hp. I'm not worried about power but I'm worried about traction as it only has 18.4t46 duals. The Concords make a great stand of cereals with about as minimal of upkeep a seeder can have. I talked to the air seeder guys when I bought planter disks and they said a jd 42' disk seeder takes btw 25k-40k american to go through and rebuild it. I haven't put 5k into 2 concord seeders in the last 6-7 years.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
they are a very forgiving drill... as mentioned, keeping that back end in good shape is #1... Square shoulder packers are nice as well, I have 3 bar harrows with edge on shanks, with dutch precision 3.5 paired row openers with a third shoot out the back for the beans, 6.5 inch rubbar and its plumbed for Nh3 which works nice if u get behind in the spring... its got agtron blockage to moniter the double shoot primaries running 2 separate loops, which is a must IMO... I mated it up to a Deere Cart!

I only seed around 4.0-4.5 Mph, but @ 60 Feet... its covering enough acres in a day to keep me more that happy,
-theres enough steel in a concord to build 2 more deep tillers, making them extremely heavy, so don't get too brave around slews and holes, and whatever u do, don't back up!!!

wheatwhacker and chance2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page