Large aircarts and dry fertilizer? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygrus View Post
Some guys on the forum are experimenting with pulling 2 smaller granular carts that are pretty cheap. Thats a lot less risk.

We went this route this year. Got a cheap older tow between cart, they are both 350 bu, N in the front tank, seed and blend in the back one. Works out pretty good, get about 90 acres on a fill. Two trucks and 2 guys can fill both tanks at the same time in about 20-25 minutes. Like it a lot better than all the anhydrous leaking out of the MRB's and freezing them up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hildebrand View Post
Still enough slip even with that much weight on your tractor.
I think this is what's going on with the slippage % on this particular unit. It has a factory equipped radar. I am inclined to believe after talking with the the tech from your town that was helping me solve a couple of issues that the corner post speed is the radar speed if the tractor is so equipped. This tractor has a 2% slippage rate even on a paved road, so I guess the radar needs it's factor tweaked slightly to match the transmission output shaft sensor. When it gets real dusty under the tractor the corner post speed goes to zero and so does the slip %.

chance2 likes this.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Could buy a used cart? They are starting to come available now in the larger sizes.

If you are filling a big cart with 3 products through the same auger it takes a half hour to do this normally. Plus there is a lot of time spent at the bin filling trucks, especially with urea and any lumps or flowing issues. For me it made sense to go back to fall banding and just handle dry phos and seed in spring. Makes spring much more enjoyable for sure.

Really happy with current setup. Can apply other types of dry fertilizer with urea in fall through other compartments in tank, couldn't do that with NH3. Last 3 years I think I have bought my urea for same price per # as NH3 was in fall, and way safer. Stores in bin and can get it whenever I want, no supply issues in season. If you know what you are growing on each field may as well start preparation in fall.

Another thing to note is way less weight being transported with dry compared to liquid. NH3 is less again but in spring you have to deal with somebody else's tank usually that has crappy tires that create compaction.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Bought a 7700 bourgault which was upgrade from 6550. Connecting up tanks to optimize ur fills makes things nice. I was able to 75-85 acre fills putting 240-280 lbs per acre they the mid rows. Phos blend and seed would get 95-100 seeding wheat. Conveyor is fairly quick but takes time lining up trucks. Although once u get onto the conveyor and position it right when I start u can fill each tank without moving ur truck. So if u had a splitter box it could go faster. By myself it takes 40 mins for a full fill. That could be shaved down with another person
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
What is everybody doing with screening their fertilizer? At bin? At cart? That screen on the cart auger/conveyor really slows down capacity. I screen at the bin but we still screen at the cart because we always find clumps and lumps get through. Sometimes the fert gets clumpy overnight in the truck and raises ****. This is the weak point of my fulfilling process and certainly adds time after all fills are added up.
doorknob likes this.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
It's tough to get away from screening into cart. It's slower but much better than having plugged runs. It's amazing what comes out after every fill.
redgreen, Haystack and jhurkot like this.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
My neighbor went from liquid phos to dry and seems to think that although this is easier, his crops were a pinch better before. Anybody else observe that?
doorknob likes this.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Our fert gets screened at the supplier and then we never bother with it out of the bin or into the cart.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skgrain View Post
My neighbor went from liquid phos to dry and seems to think that although this is easier, his crops were a pinch better before. Anybody else observe that?
We farm by one liquid guy and his crops always look better off the hit but in the end ours seem to bulk up more.

Then we ended up farming a couple of their's and it took 3 years to get the yields to match up to ours and the only explanation I'd theorize on not knowing their actual's over the years is lower phosphate just simply on cost.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
I have to confess that I get lots of help to fill this cart at times. Usually when there are some small bags to put in or mini bulks. It's also much appreciated when a load of seed has to be brought in from someplace on one of the semis without Michel's augers installed on it, even though it would make more sense for the young guys to get the older set of Michel's out of the shed and put them on the other trailer that they fit and hook the other truck on it in the yard that has a wet kit!

I just pulled into the last field for the season, its a big one with the yard within it and it will take a full 3 or 4 days to complete, so we generally just fill at one side or the other of the yard. A few minutes ago I just radioed in to my eager and younger loading buddies.

" Is there anyone in the shop? I'm coming to the yard to refill with 3 products. RIGHT AWAY!

So I get a mumbled response from the witty one today, the one that isn't hung over....
"Does that mean when garble garble garble garble garble garble garbe?"

To which I respond.
" Say Again?"

Response repeated.
"Does that mean when you say Jump, we say how High?"

Short pause...... I respond.
"No.................... It means ........ stay out of the way"

Long pause............. ( me again) ." Because I don't want to run over any kids."

They did an excellent job helping me to get refilled and underway quickly and I even saw smarty pants using hand tools!

chance2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page