Case IH 8500 Air Drill Observations - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:03 AM
Ken Adams

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
whtbaron - I have one that I am sure will never need. It is mounted on pump with tapered shaft?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
check the area where the cart hooks to the tool. Ours was breaking there and we just caught it before a disaster of two ripping apart. Also don't get the drive chain from the ground driven sprocket up to the metering system too tight. Our bottom hub as out of round and got adjusted too tight and screwed the shaft up.

whtbaron likes this.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfoot View Post
whtbaron - I have one that I am sure will never need. It is mounted on pump with tapered shaft?
I haven't pulled it off yet... didn't realize it was a tapered shaft but that would complicate things. If you want to sell it, let me know.... could probably mail it for less than $30. I know there's a bolt in the center to hold it to the pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster72 View Post
check the area where the cart hooks to the tool. Ours was breaking there and we just caught it before a disaster of two ripping apart. Also don't get the drive chain from the ground driven sprocket up to the metering system too tight. Our bottom hub as out of round and got adjusted too tight and screwed the shaft up.
The chain on mine was rusted solid when I picked it up, so I cut it off and got a new one. I haven't installed it yet so I'll be sure to check that out carefully. You aren't the first one to mention the 2 machines breaking apart either... funny how you find this stuff out after you buy things...
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfoot View Post
Yep, you were right, it's a 1" to .85" tapered shaft and judging from the amount of cursing it took, it's been on there a while... I removed the 1 3/8" one today... the one you have is for the 1 3/4" 20 spline?

Last edited by whtbaron; 09-14-2017 at 07:22 PM.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster72 View Post
Took a look and it has been welded on one side, but it looks to have been professionally done and no cracks so I think we're good. The previous comments about it being a good load for an 8450 makes me wonder what they had this thing on that used the small PTO (obviously under 180 HP). It's also a little disconcerting since I'm hoping to pull it with an 8430, although I'll just be using it for seed, not deep banding. At 45', all it has to replace is my 20 ft hoe drill, so I'm not worried about setting any speed records.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 10:51 PM

Well, thanks to member Flatfoot, I was able to get my hands on the right adapter for much much less than IHC's $1400 price tag. If I ever get done with the soys now I need to get that drill fired up and see what it needs before spring. Looking at that weak area that Rooster was pointing out, it may need some extra bracing and gusseting before it breaks again.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian A. Herrnboeck View Post
Took my air drill out onto a sand ridge to test it out for the first time ever. A few observations:

1. An Air hose and blower comes in handy to blow out runs that have mouse nests in them....

2. 45' at 5.5mph can cover a lot of ground (comparatively).

3. My monster can run the fan, and hydraulics when throttled back to 1300RPM, and has no trouble pulling the drill at 2.5" seeding depth.

6. The 6-plex frame really follows ground contours.

7. It's going to be an even sweeter rig next year with liquid N side banding, making it one-pass.

4. It's too wet to seed.

I am looking into a seeder just like the one you described. Are you still running it?

I am curious how the frame held up for you. The one I am looking at had the center section crack last spring and was fixed, but I had heard these have a history of frame issues.

I am going to look at this one at the end of the week, any areas of concern?

The pictures I received showed gauge wheels next to each hoe opener. You know anything about these, how well they actually work or if they should be taken off?

I have also been considering the double disc version of this. Any regrets on your end not going with the double disc?

Did you ever proceed with liquid N?
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Barn
ran one with liquid for a while, 8500 at 45 ft, went back to seperately applied fertilizer

regards, warren
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:20 PM
Ken Adams

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
morb1lee - my experience is frames on 7" spacing you have to keep a eye on (the whole machine), 12" spacing frames very few problems.
Any chance you could share a pic of those gauge wheels you refer to??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page