Vaderstad Planter Planting Canola - The Combine Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Vaderstad Planter Planting Canola

I was just at Farmshow today in Regina and came across something rather interesting. Vaderstad came out with a positive air planter which blows the seeds onto a seed plate rather then vacuuming them on. The planter was set up for 18in spacing and I was quizzing the fellow on putting in Canola with one as I've heard of guys seeding Canola with other brands of planters. He pulled out a seed plate made my Vaderstad specifically designed for Canola. He also claims a 50 bushel Canola crop was pulled off a field that was seeded at 1.3lbs an acre. I can see my farm justifying this as if we can cut our rate down by even a third, we could make this planter pay for it self in 4 years. On top of this we already own a late model 7000 Deere that we seed 160 acres of corn for silage with so we already have experience in the corn planter world. I'm thinking this could be the future of planting Canola as we are drastically reducing input costs on both seed and fuel. I am just wondering how many guys do this already and what their experience is with it? I have a neighbour at home that seeded his on 22in spacing and we are going to monitor his crop this year as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
https://www.thecombineforum.com/forum...nola-disk.html

you don't know how to operate a planter untill you take it to plant canola for you, its a whole different ball game and precision is needed to not **** up. planting canola is a learning curve.
I'm a firm believer in planting canola is the future of growing canola.

we save around $29,000 on canola seed a year.
The only thing we do different than the airdrill guys is we do a pre emergence of round-up on our canola to keep it clean.
but most guys with disc drills have to do that too.

Last edited by Windmillfarms; 06-21-2017 at 11:42 PM.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Is this the unit: Tempo L - a trailed high speed planter with high capacity
Do they have any narrow row configurations?

White and Great plains both have a positive air pressure meter as well. It is a very simple system and has low hydraulic requirements.

I am down around 2# with my disc drill and the crop looks good with the exception of some really dry patches where seed germinated and then dryed out and died. Seems crazy now because it's all in mud. With a planter you could use row cleaners to scrape dry dirt away and plant into reliable moisture more consistently.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmillfarms View Post
I'm a firm believer in planting canola is the future of growing canola.

we save around $29,000 on canola seed a year.
The only thing we do different than the airdrill guys is we do a pre emergence of round-up on our canola to keep it clean.
but most guys with disc drills have to do that too.
What about putting down fertilizer? What about tillage so the planter can operate? It is quite different than one pass no till......
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
What does a new planter cost.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
What about putting down fertilizer? What about tillage so the planter can operate? It is quite different than one pass no till......
fertilizer is a different pass for us, but can me made to 1 pass if needed.
same with airdrill and discdrill guys here.

you don't need tillage to operate planter, planted more than 1 field with standing residue and cover crop (dead winterwheat) in it.

what does a planter cost depend on what you want,
what does an disc drill with tank cost.
planter is roughly the same $ per foot i'd say.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 140528_006.jpg (1.08 MB, 117 views)
SWMan likes this.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
With row cleaners, proper closing wheels, and heavy enough down pressure the planters work fine in no-till. Lets talk real #'s

I forget exactly what my L233p cost per acre, but it was at least $40 for a 4 lb (~100,000 seeds per lb) rate. I'll make it easy and cut that in half and save $20 per acre. If I do this I would have the local Co-op spread for ~$6.5-$7 per acre. Because of spreading disadvantages and liquid fertilizer (in-row Starter) usually costing more per acre than dry I'll call any logistical advantage of not driving to get fertilizer every 90 acres a wash. I'm leaving airseeder wear and tear out of this just for simplification.

I come up with $13 per acre advantage assuming 1) I don't need to spray any more and 2) planting canola doesn't yield any better than drilling it. Feel free to challenge my numbers as I may be missing something.

Everything that I've read on here and other places points to the fact that the planted canola seems to yield the same if not a smidge better than drilled canola, but does delay maturity a bit. I would hope that with 15 inch planter spacing there would be no extra herbicide passes. In my case I plant corn (use refurbished 20 year old planter), beans (drill on 10"), and sunflowers(drill on 10"). This makes it easier to take a plunge on a late model high dollar planter and my goal is to have a 60 foot planter with 30/15" spacings, but they are **** expensive right now...
wheatking likes this.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatking View Post
What does a new planter cost.
Loaded question, but my dream planter with all the options and attachments would list for $450,000 US. (DB60 47row 15 inch) But that is the extreme and I don't forsee getting that one.... or any new one for that matter.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My main beef with planters is that there is way more upkeep. We have lots of small stones and they cause issue with the discs. We have used a planter to seed corn before and it was a nightmare
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 11:21 AM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Just from the testiness of the retailers taking back "extra" seed that was paid for last June and of course the "seed police" if you thought you could sell the extra seed tells me that the seed industry not real happy/prepared for planter things. Generally I like what I see, but there are different things you need to pay attention to. I would be curious from JCALDER on what Phosphate regime you are using with a planter assuming you are not one of those "lucky" ones with liquid crap to spread on Fall/Winter?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page