Metering problem 1720 flxicoil cart - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Metering problem 1720 flxicoil cart

Getting erratic rpm reading on the metering roller doing canola. Approximate readings from 5.8 back down to 2.7 then 1.1 then zero then repeat but may briefly hold steady. Usually run 1.1 to 1.2 Worked fine before running inoculant/soybeans. Replace a bearing on the metering roller but that didn't change. Switched sensors, no change. Going to clean all cable connections in the morning. Anyone ever had one of those metering drive systems apart ? What's in there ? when cranking by hand and holding onto the output side it does not appear to be slipping but need to know for sure as I don't want gaps in the field. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 01:05 AM
NVW

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
It needs to be rebuilt or a new one. The shaft that drives the roll has two cams? on it, when they go one way they release and pull in the other direction. One releases as the other one pulls the shaft. There is a name for this type pf drive which escapes me at the moment. I tore mine apart last year as it seized up, I just cleaned it up and it works but is maybe a bit off. I put it on the fert. tank, Canola needs to be precise.

Leo
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
There is lots of dollar signs in there waiting to escape, but not too hard to rebuild. You will notice them starting to fail when doing canola or wide open for fertilizer, sounds like the problem with yours. Easy enough to tell after 10 acres tho and the tank still has canola in it. The most important thing is all the roller need to turn freely. It normally takes almost no effort to turn both meters.

The other thing could be your little sprocket has moved away from the center of the sensor, but again, the "if the bag isn't gone in 10 acres" test tells the story.

They are called the wiggle woggle box.
NVW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
If the bag isn't gone in 10 acres is your problem, replace the flexicoil gearbox with a zero_max gearbox. Brandnew, cheaper than a flexicoil rebuild. Bit of fabricating, but would be worth the effort.

Nou wat nou?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Barn
We seem to have the exact same type of reading when applying granular innoculant. Only seems to do it on minimal settings. I think it is just the nature of the beast. Seems to work fine just the reading is erratic. Sometimes it just sits on zero but we have watched it like this and the roller is turning. Good luck!
BrianTee likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Over running clutch is one description for these meter systems. Or sprague clutch. It consists of a little needle bearing looking unit ( like a Torrington bearing) that has rollers that are spring loaded and grips the shaft it sits on to rotate in one direction and slips the other way. With two of these lever and bearing units alternately oscillating back and forth they turn the shaft in the center at different speeds depending on the length of stroke you set on the outside. I would try to determine for sure if your meters are actually turning erratically and/or stopping or if it is just an intermittent speed sensor problem.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
What roller are you using?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Using the fine roller... should have bought the extra fine for canola years ago but have had no problems just annoying to get the right setting sometimes. Today its working good which leads me to believe it was an electrical problem likely brought on by the heat we are having. I remember having problems with the fan speed readout years ago... then weather cooled down and no problem with that since. Thanks for all the replies, I'll take the drive apart this winter just for the experience.... only one good big day left and we're finished this year.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
I purchased a 787 this year, from what I understand the metering is the same. I had the same issues putting on 15# an acre (4 setting/Alfalfa), but ran out of seed when expected. It appeared the shaft paused when I was cranking the handle too (normal?). Wheat and soybeans I primarily used only the rear tank and don't think there was the issue.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Having the exact same problem on a 3430 mechanical. Worked fine for the first 75% of the season. Now my big tank, which is putting out most of my blend has an erratic rate reading. From 100lbs to 240lbs. All the drive boxes are freshly rebuilt and working fine. Rates are accurate. Have a camera watching tank 1 drive for safe measure. I think it's the sounding ring distance from the sensor. I've been ignoring my readings. Other tank rates are rock solid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page