Canola planters 2018 - Page 17 - The Combine Forum
 106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 170 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2312 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
But have you tried? Seems lots of people haven't even tried but are afraid of low seeding rates. It took me years of "trials" to get comfortable with what I am doing here on a farm wide scale, but doing some strip trials shouldn't scare anyone. Once I learned my crop wasn't going to fall over I soon managed for higher yield, could never do that with a flat crop.

We have a planter. After a few years our conclusion is grazing corn is going with the Pillar as the yield is always higher solid seeding, better SBU then 30", and much better weed control. Same with the sunnies and probably will sell the planter. Seeding higher with solid increases yield again with this as we are able to use more ground. This is not grain corn. You farm some of the best dirt in the world with a nice long season and lots of rain, that is so not like most of the rest of western Canada.

You don't need a planter to seed 2 lbs an acre canola, just a good seeder. Canola is mostly indeterminate making it a very poor candidate to finding any sort of advantage with a planter. Would love to see some trials one way or the other if you think the Lacombe 4 year trials are wrong. I think guys have gotten tired posting 2 lb seed master pictures that look exactly the same as a planter at much lower cost so its not a matter of could, its should.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 170 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
lol @ corn and sunflowers with a drill.

If that works for you, more power to you.

The only way to know for sure what's good for your operation is to try it for yourself. Opinions on stuff like this are useless. Our findings over 10 years was canola with a planter at a low seeding rate worked better than anything else we've done. Other people might not observe the same though.

I get sick of guys like Brian discounting our findings saying things like "but you have better dirt and climate so basically your findings don't matter", that's annoying. But to each their own.

Last edited by jcalder; 04-14-2019 at 11:13 AM.
post #163 of 170 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
lol @ corn and sunflowers with a drill.

If that works for you, more power to you.

The only way to know for sure what's good for your operation is to try it for yourself. Opinions on stuff like this are useless. Our findings over 10 years was canola with a planter at a low seeding rate worked better than anything else we've done. Other people might not observe the same though.

I get sick of guys like Brian discounting our findings saying things like "but you have better dirt and climate so basically your findings don't matter", that's annoying. But to each their own.

I'm not discounting your findings, take a breath. I'm saying after careful yield trials, it doesn't seem to work as well here and I think mostly because of SBU.

https://www.northstargenetics.com/ca...-head-to-head/

Last edited by BrianTee; 04-14-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 170 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:29 PM
DDF

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
There is a huge difference in heat units between where SWMan farms and I do. Between frost, flea beetles, seedling disease, and cold slow spring, the biggest mistake I can make is not enough plants to finish quick enough in the fall.
Yes our growing season is much longer, however the four main challenges you listed are the exact same as mine.
We got too the point of seeding 6lb just for extra insurance against those same risk factors, and one cold night and it is still all for not.

The majority of our acres seem more prone to frost than surrounding areas. It sounds like BS, but for whatever reason, frost seems to impact certain areas harder than others.
Anyway, to me trying a planter is the next attempt at mitigating the risk of frost damage. After A LOT of canola stand scouting after frost, there ofter is a much higher survival rate on blacker dirt. Typically more trash = more frost damage. I think it is due to the blacker soil warming up more during the day.
So I think that delaying seeding date, and then planting with a trash whip could be a solution on our farm. Blacker soil bed and even seed placement, should pop up and out grow flea beetles and compensate for delayed seeding date.
Sounds good in theory.
BrianTee and brazil08 like this.
post #165 of 170 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Quote:
We have a planter. After a few years our conclusion is grazing corn is going with the Pillar as the yield is always higher solid seeding, better SBU then 30", and much better weed control. Same with the sunnies and probably will sell the planter. Seeding higher with solid increases yield again with this as we are able to use more ground. This is not grain corn. You farm some of the best dirt in the world with a nice long season and lots of rain, that is so not like most of the rest of western Canada.

You don't need a planter to seed 2 lbs an acre canola, just a good seeder. Canola is mostly indeterminate making it a very poor candidate to finding any sort of advantage with a planter. Would love to see some trials one way or the other if you think the Lacombe 4 year trials are wrong. I think guys have gotten tired posting 2 lb seed master pictures that look exactly the same as a planter at much lower cost so its not a matter of could, its should.
I have no idea if the Lacombe trials are right or wrong, I wasn't there to watch it happen. My biggest beef with every piece of "research" put forward is that they change one variable and call it a day, or something like fungicide isn't even involved. Plus small plots amount to a higher margin of error based off ground variability/animal damage/wind/headland effect/etc. I'm not saying this will work on everyone's farm but it has made a big difference on mine, so worth suggesting to others. I suppose if I was selfish I would say to leave as is and have everyone suffer with $60/acre seed costs...

Oh and it's hardly the garden of Eden here, 4" of in-season rainfall last two years. We have good dirt but it is rarely more than 6" deep. Remember I don't farm in the RRV. However I am not prepared to make excuses and take a back seat to anyone on production and you should not either. We simply need to keep searching for what works best on our own farm.

Something just occurred to me, maybe you are short on heat units because of straw cover? Could be as simple as something like that which throws off the dynamics.
brazil08 and jcalder like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #166 of 170 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I have no idea if the Lacombe trials are right or wrong, I wasn't there to watch it happen. My biggest beef with every piece of "research" put forward is that they change one variable and call it a day, or something like fungicide isn't even involved. Plus small plots amount to a higher margin of error based off ground variability/animal damage/wind/headland effect/etc. I'm not saying this will work on everyone's farm but it has made a big difference on mine, so worth suggesting to others. I suppose if I was selfish I would say to leave as is and have everyone suffer with $60/acre seed costs...

Oh and it's hardly the garden of Eden here, 4" of in-season rainfall last two years. We have good dirt but it is rarely more than 6" deep. Remember I don't farm in the RRV. However I am not prepared to make excuses and take a back seat to anyone on production and you should not either. We simply need to keep searching for what works best on our own farm.

Something just occurred to me, maybe you are short on heat units because of straw cover? Could be as simple as something like that which throws off the dynamics.
Edit: You're right, I shouldn't say your land is better. Sorry bout that. My wife is from Miami/Roland. That land is grossly nice. Don't think the discs are shiny when they are done planting.

When you put canola in with the planter, what are all the passes? Or is it a one pass system?

Our heat units are short, because we live on 53.5 degrees. Our straw isn't on the ground, its standing up. Stripped fields are the first fields that melt all the snow off.

Pic is plot glyphosate/glufosinate tolerant canola - I think it will be available commercially next year or so, about 3 lbs as there wasn't much seed. Pretty as a planter crop. You can just see the planter planted corn pollen barrier in the distance. We had to till that to plant corn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dg1AYoVV4AAmRxG.jpg (330.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by BrianTee; 04-14-2019 at 03:41 PM.
post #167 of 170 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:15 PM
DDF

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Quote:
Edit: You're right, I shouldn't say your land is better. Sorry bout that. My wife is from Miami/Roland. That land is grossly nice. Don't think the discs are shiny when they are done planting.
Brian, if you think the whole Miami/Roland area is similar to whatís out your in-laws front door... itís not! Lol
BrianTee likes this.
post #168 of 170 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
It amazing how every area is so different. I like the picture of kirshenman's field with all the straw cover, but if we were to try growing canola in that kind of conditions, it would be a complete failure. Canola would never come up through that and if there was anything close to a frost, it would be wiped out. I would love to try out using a planter for canola, but not going to go buy one just for a demo, and had terrible experiences with MRB, so that is on the back of my mind when considering using anything with a disk on our land. It's funny watching people argue over what is better when they are basically on two different planets.
brazil08 likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #169 of 170 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Planted canola yields better ? Not going to buy a planter if it doesn’t by 2-3 bu/ac
post #170 of 170 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:25 PM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
If there is somebody on here who likes polls here would be a few that would be needed to address some of the multitude of variables that different studies/opinions above - maybe this would not be scientific enough for some:

What is the average seeding rate of canola across Western Canada? - my opinion would be that it certainly could be higher than 3.5lbs/acre even though doubt anybody with a planter would be over 2lbs/acre.
Of course, while we at it may want one on what is preferred TKW of canola seed for farmers in Western Canada? - my opinion is that anybody using airseeder with 3lbs/a or less seed/acre it would be 4.5 or less vs guys with planter that would prefer 5.5 or higher.
What is the avg number of passes for canola seeding used for the farmers that are shooting for "higher" yields? - of course would first have agree on what "higher yields are, but my opinion is that it is over one pass even though for some this is the equivalent of saying your a Muslim in Western Canada.

There are some "real" cost implications to the above even if there was not a yield advantage for planter canola.

Also - in the fake or "worthless" news department as it relates to planter canola: what does - https://albertacanola.com/wp-content...for-canola.pdf - have to do with planter canola? It must be a slow day at church today or everybody mulit-tasking between NHL playoffs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page