107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:14 PM
DDF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
I don't like discussing this topic because most people don't value my opinion on the subject since I make parts for planters..
If you don't want to discuss this, that's fine. However, I thought I'd try to pick your brain on a 1780 vs. 1790 specifically for canola. I though you'd be the guy to ask cuz while searching the internet I saw an old post on NAT where you said you had a 1780 at the time. I stress "specifically for canola" because if I found an affordable 1780 I would not use it for corn.
Currently the price is right for used 1780's mostly due to having a bad rep for use in corn, being too heavy, and of course the 1790 is the current model of choice. I think the weight issue may not be as big of a concern when just loading a bag per hopper? Did you use trash whips? Variable down force as hoppers empty has not been a huge issue for us in the past, is there more potential for it to show up when planting at shallow depth for canola? Any other thoughts on 1790 vs. 1780 for canola planting?
TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDF View Post
If you don't want to discuss this, that's fine. However, I thought I'd try to pick your brain on a 1780 vs. 1790 specifically for canola. I though you'd be the guy to ask cuz while searching the internet I saw an old post on NAT where you said you had a 1780 at the time. I stress "specifically for canola" because if I found an affordable 1780 I would not use it for corn.
Currently the price is right for used 1780's mostly due to having a bad rep for use in corn, being too heavy, and of course the 1790 is the current model of choice. I think the weight issue may not be as big of a concern when just loading a bag per hopper? Did you use trash whips? Variable down force as hoppers empty has not been a huge issue for us in the past, is there more potential for it to show up when planting at shallow depth for canola? Any other thoughts on 1790 vs. 1780 for canola planting?
TIA
THink 1780 doesnt have the ccs system central delivery, which sucks for corn or soys filling individual boxes it takes time in canola it doesnt at al, dont need downforce for canola, that stuff is good for corn nothing else. Row cleaners you dont need either, just do fall tillage and you be good.
Fertilizer is seperate pass, just do it in the fall its usually cheaper then anyways especially phos or sulphur. Dont plant canola less than an inch, ive done that before its risky if you dont get enough rain, planting at an inch and its up in 3-5 days with moisture and temperature.
Id get a variable rate preferably but its not mandatory for it.
Good luck with your decision.

post #173 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDF View Post
TIA
I don't mind answering specific questions, the discussion I like to stay away from is drill vs planter.

We ran a 1780 for 8 seasons, I liked that planter, it was simple and easy to work on. Downside was the individual boxes I found was in soybeans, not so much canola.

The weight issue was less on the 1780 than the 1790, the 1790 is a bigger tank than the 1780 was. Plus if you're looking at a 31 row 15" model and doing canola, then all the row units would be on the ground which helps with weight distribution.

I guess it would depend on how many acres you're doing but one bag per hopper seems like a lot, I planted a quarter of canola yesterday with 8 bags. I always advise against putting in 2000 acres of seed just in case a leak develops and you don't notice, you don't want to lose all that seed. When we had the 1780 I'd fill 160 acres at a time. Mishaps don't happen too often but they do happen.

We never used trash whippers because of the 15" rows, I always felt like the front rank of row units would throw junk onto the back rank then the back rank would bury the seed row from the front.

When you are only putting a few pounds of seed in each box the variable weight of seed doesn't really make any difference.

Huge bonus to a box planter vs CCS is you don't need nozzle inserts or screens for the seed delivery system which can save a good $60-$70 per row in parts.

The advantages to a 1790 is central fill just because it's easier and there were better monitor options for the 1790 starting in 2009.

Hope that helps.
DDF likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page