Canola planters 2018 - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
Why would you take a risk planting down to a couple lbs an acre? Doesnt matter how precise its placed or metered, if it doesn't rain on it or the beatles come.

There are lots of old air drills that grow the same crop the expensive independent openers drills do. I suspect its the same for planters. I seed 5.5lbs per acre no matter what the conditions.

Well for one on our farm if we could drop 2 pounds of seed that would be $250,000 in a season. $2.5m over 10 years.

If guys are doing it successfully I’m here to learn.

But by all means keep seeding at 5.5lbs no matter what if it’s working for you.

Last edited by joesixpack; 05-27-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2760 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
Why would you take a risk planting down to a couple lbs an acre? Doesnt matter how precise its placed or metered, if it doesn't rain on it or the beatles come.
Because it puts $40/acre GUARANTEED in my pocket before the crop is ever grown! In actual fact I don't consider it a saving but you should consider it a cost.

If it doesn't rain do you want 5.5# at risk or 2#? Flea beetles can be managed with Lumiderm and seeding date.

bfl2008 and Windmillfarms like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #13 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triticum Agricolam View Post
This video is what really got me interested in using a planter for canola:

A Precision Decision: is Precision Planting the Future of Canola? - Farming Smarter Conference 2017 - YouTube
I appreciate the link. Had not seen that. It definitely affirms my suspicion on seeding row width.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:40 PM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
The seed survival thing with planter gets interesting - I think all of them grow. In fact, I need to do an actual count of seeds from the seed lots that I planted as have suspicion that labelled TSW may be high as by the math it seems I have more seeds/lineal foot than should - unless there some gaps in other places that not seen yet. Guess if you liked conspiracies would think it may be in seed company interest to have higher TSW on bags as most people would tend to seed at higher rates. There definitely is variance in TSW within bags that makes planter not as good as they could be. I am sure in very near future there will be bigger, more uniform seeds for planter people that they likely will try to charge close to twice as much for. For any larger farmers that have multiple drills going already have to think that a planter would be one of the better returning pieces of equipment that could be bought.
post #15 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
I always question the mortality rate they always claim for canola. I have never actually done a plant count but have found 5# is too heavy, would guess a good 85-90% survival rate. Found since we stopped putting sulfur down with the seed and just the phos, we have had better emergence, thinking the extra fertilizer going through the hoses and then laying in the seed trench did a lot of harm. Wonder if that's why planters have a higher survival rate? The less seed I can put in the ground and still grow a crop the better, seed prices are just going to keep going up, why sow at 5# if 2-3 will do?
chance2 and Border Farmer like this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Anyone that tried to seed at 2-3lbs last year probably regretted it.

Half that crop barely germinated, a lot died under the dry crust of top soil the wind blew nice and hard, beatles chewed a bit, and then it finally rained around june 12 and then the rest came through. Having the extra seed in the ground was insurance, not a cost in that case.

Look I dont like paying the seed companies any more than I have to, but if I am going to put down their product, I take every precaution to ensure I have a stand. I also seed with 3.5" spread tips so more of the seed bed is being utilized. Not a believer in wide row spaces.
chance2 likes this.
post #17 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triticum Agricolam View Post
This video is what really got me interested in using a planter for canola:

A Precision Decision: is Precision Planting the Future of Canola? - Farming Smarter Conference 2017 - YouTube
Very interesting video. Thanks for sharing. Their research casts a lot of doubt on much of what I said in my previous post. They found emergence was much the same between the air drill and the planters. It was very interesting to learn that the 20" spacing just doesn't seem to work very well (and for logical reasons). 12" seems to be the sweet spot.

Also I found the response to phos to be interesting. High rates of phos in the air drill and 12" planter increased yield, even though it hurt emergence.
chance2 likes this.
post #18 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Bourgaults research to their own dismay has shown the same. They keep trying to burn down the crop with Phosphate in the seed row and it keeps being the high yielder at the cost of emergence.

The happy medium seems to be putting enough in the seed row (yield) and mid-rowing the rest to peak emergence.
Transaxial and chance2 like this.
post #19 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

What interests me about the planters is the row cleaners. Really like the idea of a trash free black seedrow. Yet it seems hard to imagine that working well on a 12” space.
post #20 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
What interests me about the planters is the row cleaners. Really like the idea of a trash free black seedrow. Yet it seems hard to imagine that working well on a 12” space.
Put a row cleaner and a closing wheel on my 3320 and I can go 6.5 mph and I won’t ever consider a planter ! But probably not happening.

The comment about farms with 2 drills allready is what makes me think about planters, have a 15” spaces planter for canola and chickpeas and a 7.5” drill for durum and lentils. It’s just getting the Fert down that doesn’t work here. No way we can spread and work it in.

Brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page