Canola planters 2018 - The Combine Forum
 106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Canola planters 2018

Thought id ask the 8 people that are left on the forum if anyone is using or switched to a planter to do canola?

Ivre really got a hard on for that Horcsh planter.

In particular how are you handling your Phosphate or starter blend?

Were considering putting out leading air cart in front of the nh3 rig and banding the the full meal deal in the fall.

bjtjjl and Windmillfarms like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
There is a planter/disc drill/1:1 hoe drill replicated trial going in here, should have some results in four months. Fertilizer has to be banded ahead of planter unless you have something like Vaderstad with a side-band coulter.

Have you ever run a planter before? Thinking you might go "soft" on the idea once you realize the maintenance and PITA factor of a planter...

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #3 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I've been hearing the flea beetles enjoy "planted" canola the same as "air seeded".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

They sure do look like a finicky thing and I can imagine they are a maintenance hog which is a boner kill alright.

Sure appreciate some trial data. Anything I’ve seen in the past sure wasn’t cut and dry.
post #5 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
If we get into canola it will be with our planter. If we didn't have a planter I wouldn't buy one just for canola.
post #6 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:42 PM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
This will be 2nd yr getting canola custom planted. Last yr was case 1240 early riser and this yr had a JD planter - both 15" spacing and 40'. Fertilizer all floated in Fall, worked in with vertical tillage and 1qtr actually got 2nd go over this Spring and will be fanciest of my canola even if the Anti tillage Nazis would say this cannot work. There are lots of earthworms as well. In fact on another qtr even had cutworms shear off about 20acres - had some leftover seed from last yr with no lumiderm. I did put some phosphate in Fall blend on most of land. Plan was to get down 23l of alpine with seed this yr instead of the 12l that went down last yr, however I think planters are seed and fertilizer salesmen' worst nightmare as always seem to get less - ended up with 16.5l. Seed went down bit lighter than planned as have Invigor at 1.6lbs/a and some roundup ready as high as just over 2lbs/a. Plant count is fine even if finding even pretty colored, treated seeds in these numbers behind a planter is scary stuff. I used up the "free" decis with Invigor to do some edges, but not concerned about flea beetles even though there are plenty around here. I think I would have been further ahead putting money for application of Decis on Vegas to win the Stanley cup, but will know both in the next 2 wks as I will be there. As far as maintenance is concerned the JD one this yr seemed to have a hydraulic leaking issue, but think the plant count with it better than last yr - case one developed a plugged run that not picked up. Think the Case one may be able to cope with more crop residue and saw it working this yr in some stuff that I would call exceptionally heavy trash - will be interested in how it looks. Think less speed(no more than 7mph) is better - unless you have real garden patch flat land(IE maybe worked in Spring). I think bigger the seed the better as have yet to be able to get down 2lbs/a consistently except with bigger seed. You get a lot more acres seeded in day with one of these than I have ever done with airseeder and a lot easier. We had even better conditions than last yr and seeds out of ground in 7days. Airseeder stuff emerged close to same, but not as even. This may not be fast for some higher heat unit areas, but for here that is quick.
Windmillfarms likes this.
post #7 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Ok floater + lemmi. Check.

Not sure on the floating Phosphate though here at least. Have a really calcareous soil and tie up would be a real concern.
chance2 likes this.

Last edited by joesixpack; 05-27-2018 at 06:55 PM.
post #8 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
post #9 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Why would you take a risk planting down to a couple lbs an acre? Doesnt matter how precise its placed or metered, if it doesn't rain on it or the beatles come.

There are lots of old air drills that grow the same crop the expensive independent openers drills do. I suspect its the same for planters. I seed 5.5lbs per acre no matter what the conditions.
post #10 of 170 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
The canola seed reps tell me that they plan on, and usually get a 60% survival with an air drill. I'm not totally sure why this is. Some claim it comes from damage in the distributor manifolds. Maybe the meters crush some. We try to run the least amount of air we can get away with. Leads to some interesting baffling on a Flexi-coil, where we're trying to put down 280#/ac product in the side band, and 4#/ac in the seed row. But it works. I'm not sure if our survival rate is greater than 60%. I'm very curious to know, so I'll ask the agronomist to count our plants when they emerge. With a planter, the seed rep tells me survival rate is nearly 100%. This is under irrigation. A lot of guys are still using box drills for seed canola, because it makes it easy to do male and female bays. I'm not sure how mortality compares with the planter, but I imagine a box drill won't damage too many seeds. Our canola yields are as high as they ever were now with our air drill vs when we used to use a box drill.

Anyway, around here in the irrigated area of southern Alberta, much of the canola acres goes to seed production, and the seed companies are putting some pressure on farmers to move to planters. Many guys are already doing this. The seed rate is reduced because the agronomist can get the exact plant count he wants. The wider spacing seems to grant more space for the bees to pollinate. Also there's an opportunity for tillage to help reduce contamination from volunteers. Despite the lower seeding rate, yields are slightly better on the row crop. All of these growers are broadcasting fertilizer and incorporating it with a cultivator or high speed disk.

This year we've got an air drill -seeded field not far from a row-crop planted field of the same variety. So it will be interesting to compare the results. Both in terms of final yield, but also in terms of plant count and mortality rate. The farmer who has the row-crop field has always used a box drill in the past.

Last edited by torriem; 05-27-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in