Best Blockage Monitors - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
We are looking for a blockage monitor now for a few years. Reading the posts makes me shudder, the cost, the problems, yikes. Better to just check every fill.

Bad attitude, where are you getting the power from to power the whole system and if there is more then 1 negative, are they all connected together to the same place and where is that connection made to negative? And what's between those points and the actual battery pos and neg?

Tractor/FarmEquipment power systems are absolutely terrible. They break most engineering rules of good design and are endless groundloop nightmares of noise. Add rain, dirt, fertilizer dust.... I'm surprised they work at all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
It's just my opinion, but I think the key to consistent performance is in the sensor design. I don't like microphone style sensors because they wear out for various reasons including product abrasion from particle collision on the microphone surface.

In my view a system set up with one row monitored on each distribution tower is far superior to the hassle of maintaining an all row monitoring system. By cleverly arranging a subtle rise in the hose in the one with the sensor, it will almost always detect a developing problem. You should put one sensor to the second from the end row to detect a blockage from turning too short with the openers in the ground.

The system we use utilizes these sensors and is integrated into the drill controller monitor. For a less sophisticated drill controller a stand alone display would be needed. We monitor 16 rows on 8 seed towers and 8 fertilizer towers. It doesn't provide any distribution data, so it won't make you feel like your drill is junk because of false information from sensor variability. We haven't replaced a failed sensor in 40,000 acres, or had a false blockage alarm. It works good. We had an all row monitor in earlier times.

It also integrates with sectional control functions as well as the starting and stoping of the meters and does not alarm in those situations which is a major plus.

Last edited by Haystack; 06-10-2018 at 03:35 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Haystacker - is that a dickey John ? I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I've had the IntelligentAg system for several years now and have been very happy with it. It certainly saved me from a lot of unpleasantness a couple of times (like when I had primary hose come off my tow-between cart). I would certainly buy the IAS system again.
tswanson likes this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post

Tractor/FarmEquipment power systems are absolutely terrible. They break most engineering rules of good design and are endless groundloop nightmares of noise. Add rain, dirt, fertilizer dust.... I'm surprised they work at all
The most important thing in today's modern world is proper wiring and wire harnessing. What does every manufacture source to the lowest cost supplier, harnessing. No thought or effort is put into proper routing so the wires don't pinch or rub. Lets design the machine with no thought to wiring and just run all the wires across the drill where they are exposed to the elements. Or my favourite, lets just order one type of wiring harness for our 30 types of machinery, and lets order it 100ft too long just in case, we might need to fit it onto something in the future, but lets just wrap the excess in a loop and tie onto the frame someplace that is bound to rub through, but at the same time make all the connectors inaccessible. Or how about lets run 20 ground wires off of one 20 guage ground wire.

Poor wiring, and specifically bourgaults poor wiring has cost me lots of downtime on relatively new equipment, and it makes me so angry that my head is about to explode.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keldifornia View Post
Haystacker - is that a dickey John ? I

Yes it is, integrated into a TopCon X30 running a Bourgault. The system could be built out to all row size but would costs an additional tens of thousands. It's been offered to make life easier for me, but I have declined the gesture. I still like to check the physical delivery on the ground at refill time as standard procedure. In the end it's still farming, not a technical game.
BrianTee likes this.

Last edited by Haystack; 06-10-2018 at 03:54 PM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Haystack, You must have the smoothest running bourgault of all time. maybe they assemble them better on the North side of the border... If you have a late model high dollar seeding setup an all run system is a no brainer to me. Anyways, I have ran the IAS system for four years. The company has modified a few things since mine was new, but here is my opinion.

Pros:
diagnosing wiring issues is simple its either power or ground

Only had to replace 2 sensors on a total of 176 (2 drills). It was my fault as i jammed a screw driver in two of them way too hard and broke the "drum"

Flow monitoring helps for determining a cracked primary line or open tank lid

runs off of an Ipad to keep less clutter off of the X30 (my drill monitor)

While it isn't free it costs less than factory all run systems (deere and bourgault at least)

I've had good experience with their regional reps for the company

Cons:
When it's damp out fertilizer can build up on the "drum" and cause a false Blockage reading. I probably shouldn't go in these conditions anyways, but have had it happen twice. cleaning is no fun.

To me with the sensors that I have (new ones may have been altered) little sticks and twigs can get hung up in sensors and cause blockages more often than say a JD or dickey john system

Last edited by 8850Champion; 06-10-2018 at 04:34 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8850Champion View Post
Haystack, You must have the smoothest running bourgault of all time.
Lol

I doubt it, we take the time to run everything through the rabbit wire screen on its conveyor. I think we only had one row blockage this year that went in through the hatch. The sensors have never been cleaned so far.

It costs about an acre a minute when you have to mess around with these things, I don't like loading problems, or the idea of buying into them.

I'd rather take the time to relax and take a rest in the panorama of the great wide open, than troubleshoot a blockage alarm.

https://pasteboard.co/HpiE6Ot.jpg

Last edited by Haystack; 06-10-2018 at 05:26 PM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quoted from Brian T:
Bad attitude, where are you getting the power from to power the whole system and if there is more then 1 negative, are they all connected together to the same place and where is that connection made to negative? And what's between those points and the actual battery pos and neg?

Brian there is only really the main power harness which they provide with the system and is recommended that it goes straight to the battery. This has a connector at the back of the tractor for unhooking and goes to their transmitter box on the implement hitch. This is also the only way to shut off the system by unplugging it at this connector. From the transmitter, which is the brains of the system is my guess, they have a closed loop system (not sure if that is the right terminology) which connects all the daisy looped sensors. They use a special type of cable connector for connecting the sensor cables to the transmitter box which seems at least semi sealed. All the other connectors with the sensor harnessing are similar semi sealed all with electrical grease including the sensors connectors. There are no other grounds in the system that I can remember other than the main power harness right back at the battery. And these were cleaned at startup in spring when hooking up battery terminals. And cleaned again later a second time to make sure.

The dirty grounds which I was referring to are on the tractor. From what I was told my Case Steiger has 5 ground points to clean and tighten periodically. 2 grounds in the engine compartment and 3 at the rear of the cab. Supposedly its all in the operators manual which we all religiously read and memorize in our spare time.

Case product guy also said he had heard that Intelligent Ag was bought out by Case.
BrianTee likes this.

Last edited by bad altitude; 06-10-2018 at 06:00 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
We bought the IAS system and put it on our Seedmaster on board tank seed runs. Worked very good, was able to reduce fan speed till the very outside opener on 60' started to plug to know what my lowest fan speed that I could run and then increased it a couple hundred rpm's to ensure it didn't plug but minimal seed bounce. Caught couple times the runs plugging (never plugged completely, was able to max fan speed and clean out the hose by itself), once when a clump of seed plugged off the venturi opening on the meter housing for one of the runs, and when less seed was going down 2 runs due to the hoses pulling out of the meter housing with the onboard meters (some seed still going down but was losing some where the hose is suppose to be held all the way in the housing and wasn't. Was very happy and will definitely buy again. Was pricey at ~10k for 60 seed runs monitored but peace of mind for me is worth it.

Transaxial likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page