Opinions on IH/CIH Cyclo - The Combine Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NW of Fargo, with cows by Williston(long story)
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
The only thing I seem to find online is that they are either great or the worst thing to roll out of a factory ever.

I see a common complaint is spacing, so if you don't want perfect spacing, how are they?

To add another iron to the fire: how hard is it to change spacings?


Last edited by kochia; 12-28-2018 at 01:55 AM.
kochia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
If you don't want perfect spacing, can handle doubles or skips.... then they are just fine. Used to run one years ago for sunflowers. We are on our third John Deere planter since then.

case is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NW of Fargo, with cows by Williston(long story)
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
If you don't want perfect spacing, can handle doubles or skips.... then they are just fine. Used to run one years ago for sunflowers. We are on our third John Deere planter since then.
as in a(single kernel) skip or feet of skip?

Deere seems to get more and more expensive each year, parts and machinery. Then when I find one in my price range, it has sat outside its entire life and is wore out.

Last edited by kochia; 12-28-2018 at 01:12 AM.
kochia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
gleaner l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cobden,Ontario,Canada
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Have been using a 800 cyclo for a few years. It may not be perfect but it does a good job. Like anything, performance depends on operator.
Have a smooth field, don't want to be bouncing around and dropping seed off of drum. I don't go over 5 mph. Above that I start getting a few misses from seed being dropped from drum. Stop and look and there will be the odd seed hole missing a seed. If the seed is very heavy the chances of misses increases. Doubles dont' seem to be much of a problem.
Spacing is determined by the population you want. More seed, drum turns faster, seeds are closer together. I plant 32,000 seeds which is roughly a seed spacing of 6.25". Spacing won't be perfect but when I jump the fence and compare to the neighbours new white used this year there is no way there is enough of a difference in spacing and population to justify up dating my old planter.
Guy I bought it from can't believe how good of a job it is doing. However he did say his son would be doing at least 7mph.
gleaner l is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
SWFarmService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Regent, SW North Dakota
Posts: 9,739
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
A deere isnt bad (if your in the 8 row or so world) to rebuild from ground up, I know the initial investment is way higher than the IH but money well spent IMO.

If you look up sloan express the have a very good shank you can buy if the old ones are bent out of shape.

Overall Deere planters have the best platform for modifications and aftermarket parts.

I would try to go with a 7300 or a 1750 vacuum and forget about the cyclo

God Bless America
SWFarmService is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NW of Fargo, with cows by Williston(long story)
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
A deere isnt bad (if your in the 8 row or so world) to rebuild from ground up, I know the initial investment is way higher than the IH but money well spent IMO.

If you look up sloan express the have a very good shank you can buy if the old ones are bent out of shape.

Overall Deere planters have the best platform for modifications and aftermarket parts.

I would try to go with a 7300 or a 1750 vacuum and forget about the cyclo
above 8 row would be nice, that's what I'm currently borrowing from an uncle(who then borrows me and a combine)

My issue with deere is that I've got 3 IH dealers within a 1/2 hour of me, Deere is an hour and a half and I'm not impressed with them in all ways.
kochia is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SE of Winnipeg
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Iíve used for corn and beans for a few years I modified mine to the jd seed trench closing system. In my heavy soils the closing discs werenít good enough. Aftermarket parts are around and you can get a larger planter for reasonable money. Yes corn will not be as accurate spacing as new Deereís but theses are thirty year old planters. Hose routing Iíve been told has a lot to do with spacing.
Last gen farmer is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Know of a guy that will plant his soy beans with it, but hires out the corn. Said the yield gain from better stand was worth the custom planting cost.

How many acres of corn (other crops too) do to think you’re going to plant yearly?
morb1lee is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 10:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Depends on how many acres you are planting (mainly corn)to justify the price but a 7000 jd isn't alot more $. You can pull it with anything as its mechanical (requires no hyd to function.) Still use our 12x30 enough to justify having it and dont remember the last time I got parts from john deere.

As swfarmservice said sloan or shoup is where I get most of the parts. Kinze units are super comon and simple. I Got a super deal on precision units and super impressed with the stand. Even get compliments on the stand.

Only thing I dont like about it is it isn't centerfill. It gets old filling boxes during soybeans.
361turbo is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NW of Fargo, with cows by Williston(long story)
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morb1lee View Post
Know of a guy that will plant his soy beans with it, but hires out the corn. Said the yield gain from better stand was worth the custom planting cost.

How many acres of corn (other crops too) do to think you’re going to plant yearly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 361turbo View Post
Depends on how many acres you are planting (mainly corn)to justify the price but a 7000 jd isn't alot more $. You can pull it with anything as its mechanical (requires no hyd to function.) Still use our 12x30 enough to justify having it and dont remember the last time I got parts from john deere.

As swfarmservice said sloan or shoup is where I get most of the parts. Kinze units are super comon and simple. I Got a super deal on precision units and super impressed with the stand. Even get compliments on the stand.

Only thing I dont like about it is it isn't centerfill. It gets old filling boxes during soybeans.
Usually I do something around 1-1-1(thousand, wheat, beans, corn, or similar for weed control) but with the way the elevator and market is acting, next year will probably be all or almost all wheat, with just enough corn for cow feed(around 300). This one would be only corn though, as I have a narrower/double row for beans.

Main reason for a Cyclo is two neighbors retired and want to sell their equipment. Both ran cyclos and are selling theirs. One is a 900 that ended up a spare after he found out that his hitch to pull two didn't work, so it has less than 100 acres on it. always inside. 8 row 36", with the parts to make it a 30" for $2000. The other used his up until this year, but rebuilt everything 2 years ago. That one is a 950, 12 row 30" with fertilizer and the insecticide boxes. $7000 for it.

Other reason is I bought one of them out, land wise, so I don't really want to borrow more. I figured since I will be almost all wheat next year, it would be a good time to figure out a new planter.

kochia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sprayer height control, opinions? torriem Sprayers / Chemicals / Fertilizer 5 04-07-2018 12:30 PM
Tandem vs Tridem - Grain Trailer Opinions TJB Grain Handling Equipment / Transportation 43 01-25-2014 08:41 AM
9895 opinions mrgrothen Massey Ferguson 8 09-10-2013 12:51 AM
looking for opinions on ABJ twin caps or other brands detroit s60 Sprayers / Chemicals / Fertilizer 6 03-04-2013 10:08 AM
Opinions... balletslippers General Farming Board 9 05-26-2010 10:59 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome