Seedhawk or bourgault - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
No one has mentioned that Bourgualt has the worst seed and fertilizer distribution on the market but you won't hear that from them!

s6704940 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
I sure don’t see a huge variance between runs when the crop comes up. That’s pretty low on my list of improvements.

Secondary hose that will make a whole season is right up there. Or if I could dream a little 2 seasons!

bjtjjl and chance2 like this.
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Ran seedmaster, than a few years of seedmaster and bourgault and now just bourgault. If you fertilize any amount be careful with the seedtwins burning canola seed, have seen it lots. Not a lot of separation, especially if you have hills and the drill drafts a lot. For the most part though either system will grow you a good crop.

Brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I really like the jd/ conserva pac but i think deere took a big dump on the average farmer. They made one new model so big and heavy (way heavier than it needs to be) that you pretty much need the biggest tractor with tractor on the market to pull it. I think they really screwed themselves, the great big guys won't buy them because they are too complicated for (meat in the seat type of guys to run). Its just too much $ for a average guy to want to put out at one, tractor and drill. Why can't they take 10 off the wings, why is it soooooo heavy.
The bourgault fields that look like they struggled for a bit were all 12 inch spacing. I see bourgault uses 10 inch for all there study's, propaganda. Maybe that extra couple inches is a little to much for the fert to move.
Spacing wise i switched from paired row to side band on my 12 inch spaced morris contour this year and i think the wheat was definitely not as good but the canola was no change.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
No one has mentioned that Bourgualt has the worst seed and fertilizer distribution on the market but you won't hear that from them!
Have you ever used a newer Bourgault? Never had or seen a problem yet over 13yrs and 3 different carts.

No way I’ll of us with Bourgault carts would put up with poor distribution and we should all be seeing striping if it was a problem
mauryj likes this.

Last edited by dumbfarmer; 02-02-2019 at 05:33 PM.
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
You might be kind of boxing yourself in if 100% of the nitrogen is always going down the mid row branders and no percentage of other nutrients are placed over there in order to make room for some possible nitrogen in the seed row, if your climatic conditions required that close by nitrogen.

From what I’ve seen, blends are a good option in every tank. There doesn’t appear to be significant need, right around here, for additional nitrogen near or in the seed row on 10” spacings, if there was, we could add some nitrogen to seed row blends going into farm storage.

Bourgault’s can use the same primary hose as any other brand, I expect the reason the hose doesn’t last as long in time is because in some instances they have done more acres in a season. A disk drill clobbering the acres can certainly wear them away.

Last edited by Haystack; 02-02-2019 at 05:59 PM.
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfarmer View Post
Have you ever used a newer Bourgault? Never had or seen a problem yet over 13yrs and 3 different carts.

No way Iíll of us with Bourgault carts would put up with poor distribution and we should all be seeing striping if it was a problem
Do a search online about the studies that were done on air cart distribution, and that was done by a 3rd party. There system is about the same as concord used years ago, which wasn't bad for its time.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Do a search online about the studies that were done on air cart distribution, and that was done by a 3rd party. There system is about the same as concord used years ago, which wasn't bad for its time.
Exactly which studies are you talking about? I believe MB pulse paid PAMI to do one in 2018 on Bourgault and Deere and Bourgault had a CV of around 11%

11% CV isnít bad for any air system.
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfarmer View Post
Exactly which studies are you talking about? I believe MB pulse paid PAMI to do one in 2018 on Bourgault and Deere and Bourgault had a CV of around 11%

11% CV isnít bad for any air system.
howardgroupinc.com or search accurate metering but poor distribution
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2875 Post(s)
Quote:
I owned a 7950 on a 66' drill and it wasn't perfect but not as bad as some of those studies suggest. There is one particular study that is pretty much bogus IMO, can't find it at the moment but it has been posted on this site before.

What I really don't like about the Bourgault delivery system is the archaic metering and the fact everything hits another manifold under the full blast of the fan. There is more grain damage and it is very inefficient when pushing high rates of product. I like the rest of the tank a lot though and have been thinking about all of the aftermarket metering bodies around that are made of stainless such as this: https://romafa.com/
I wonder if a guy could modify a BG tank or if they would sell one less the metering equipment. Main concern would be how is the thing unloaded? Probably not room for it to swing away under there like on a CNH tank, if I understand correctly the JD dumps through the bottom?

As to the original question if there is cereals involved then narrower rows will generally be better, canola not as important. Seems a fair number of Seedhawk on 12" and with BG if you are doing midrow then 10" is definitely better because of need to throw dirt over fert band. I would lean BG with some minor reservations, but clearly nothing is perfect and every year is different.....how's that for a non answer!

chance2 likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page