Seedhawk or bourgault - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Just some food for thought, but I've always believed that if the air system is that hard on hoses, it's equally as hard on the seed.

SWMan likes this.

The key to a successful rain dance is doing it just before it rains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:50 AM
CJS

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
N to far away from the seed and pho’s burning the seed now with bg set up for triple shoot I think that can be less of a problem and when guys say rough field finish its better on a dry yeamore dry dirt displaced in a ridge and can still seed shallower. As far as mrb s go they can drive me nuts in the 9000 ac the drill seeds that year they need some tlc in that time. Nothing like adjusting scrapers on a rain day and them things hair pinned in heavy straw and left fert exposed or nh3 gassing off like a disk typically does. As far as more metal more strength I normally agree but we don’t have tanks mounted on our hawks and the last few we haven’t had any frame cracking. Weight worked against borgault when it’s stuck a lot more. And buried up to castors. See enough bg drills at sales with new hitches for that reason we didn’t have high float option when we had them so I m sure that would help

post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Bourgault uses lots of steel pipe for primary lines that are mounted in the toolbar frame to prevent sagging and plugging problems. Without going and counting, I think the one I drive uses 40 pieces of primary hose including 8 bander towers and 8 seed towers as well as having the main distribution mounted on the cart which adds 16 hoses as compared to what the same design would mounted on the toolbar. I believe there are only steel line sections involved to supply the triplex and the fiveplex wings.

The previous drill was a John Deere with only six towers in total since it was 43’ and it used ammonia instead of urea. It had 12 primary hoses. By replacing one hose in the system on the JD you were changing 6.25 % of the total primary hose. Changing one short piece of primary hose on some Bourgault’s is only changing 2.5 % of the hose because there is steel line involved and 16 towers instead of 6 on the other one.

I guess we could tear all that off there and put 16 primary hoses on up to almost a hundred feet long and supposedly make the hose last three times as long, but I don’t think we will.

Last edited by Haystack; 02-03-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
This looks like a complete maintenance disaster! Does Bourgault even think of what might happen to this thing after a few years worth of fertilizer goes through there?
The simple fact that they have changed their air kit constantly for the last decade or more and are still doing so pretty much tells you there is a problem.

The EPDS might be what some guys have been needing for very high rates of fertilizer going to the mid row branders if theyve had problems in the past.

I dont think its something I would want in the seed delivery side until it has proven its long term durability. But then again I wouldnt want any chance of a fan plenum defuser F ing application up, or dictating what tank must be used for what product, or is it 64 little valves ? in a large NH sectional control system.
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS View Post
Seeded with both bg with mrb and Seedhawk in same field for two years harvest crew those years who knew nothing about seeding tools would say why does one side of field always look better than the other. Yield monitors would say the same.
Did you ever figure out why a crop that someone said looked better yielded just as crappy as the stuff planted by the Bourgault?
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Yeah. The more product we put down the faster we replace the Hose’s.
We found that out when we up the rate a fare bit. When you think about it it’s like a sand blaster all day at the same spot.
It seems we only get about two to three years the have to replace.
That’s why farmers are staring to spread fertilizer for this resend and capacity
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Do you have a guess as to why the Seedhawk was growing more grain?

This looks like a complete maintenance disaster! Does Bourgault even think of what might happen to this thing after a few years worth of fertilizer goes through there? When some of those internal baffles or UHMW parts start to wear out the distribution will be an absolute train wreck. Is a guy supposed to stick his head in there every day after a couple years or just replace it as maintenance. Seems this stuff is only built to get through the warranty period and then they kiss you goodbye, no wonder the drills are going for 40 cents on the dollar after a couple seasons.

The simple fact that they have changed their air kit constantly for the last decade or more and are still doing so pretty much tells you there is a problem. Will be more of a problem on wider drills.
Amen to that!
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Bourgault already has baffles inside the main elbows been there since early 2000s for sure.
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 2872 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
Bourgault already has baffles inside the main elbows been there since early 2000s for sure.
And I know someone who had one come unglued and really affect the distribution on a whole crop. Pretty sure it was a 4000 series tank so that goes back a bit. Something to be aware of.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hildebrand View Post
You must have the only honest seedhawk dealer on the planet, I know my local dealer doesn't even sell the seed hawk tanks anymore, however the seed hawk rep always tells me the tanks are almost perfect and they never have issues.

After climbing up the Deere C850 tank at the latest show I'm not really convinced how safe that staircase is. The steps are narrow and have large gaps plus everything shakes and wobbles.

For anyone that likes the seed hawk metering I would take a good look at the CNH/Flexi coil tanks, very similar meter system that has very few bugs and the support of a large company behind it.
Really hated the staircase on the new Deere vs our seed hawk cart. Like you say it wobbled like crazy and bottom rail wasnt easy to grab. I also didnt like all the little direction changes climbing to top it seemed unnecessary. I really liked the lids on the Deere though and being able to fill small tank from top and half way is neat but Id still prefer small tank at back rather than front like Ive told Vaderstad lots of times it would be so a lot easier to fill with minibulks then

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page