The Combine Forum

The Combine Forum (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/)
-   Planting & Tillage (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/19-planting-tillage/)
-   -   Seedhawk or bourgault (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/19-planting-tillage/330969-seedhawk-bourgault.html)

Millie 02-02-2019 11:20 AM

Seedhawk or bourgault

Has anyone switch betwwen the 2, or ran them in the same field. Which one grows the better crop, goes through trash better? Anyone compared the mid row fert with the seedhawk. This year it was pretty easy to pick out the bourgault mid row fields for about 2 weeks at the end of june/ start of july, so just wondering if the seedhawk would be better?

dumbfarmer 02-02-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millie (Post 3312271)
Has anyone switch betwwen the 2, or ran them in the same field. Which one grows the better crop, goes through trash better? Anyone compared the mid row fert with the seedhawk. This year it was pretty easy to pick out the bourgault mid row fields for about 2 weeks at the end of june/ start of july, so just wondering if the seedhawk would be better?

Looks arenít everything in June

Bourgault, Seedhawk And Seedmaster are all excellent drills Field finish is far surperior on Bourgault 99% of the time but finish doesnít grow more grain. All 3 will have trash flow problems at times. MRBs hate wet loss stubble setting on mud and seedtwins make real nice mouse nests all over in fields that arenít heavy harrowed enough.

One knock of most Seedtwins is there on 12in spaceing and thatís a little wide to Max out some cereal yields in my opinion and experience.

Buy a drill that you can get excellent service from local dealer. If I was buying new today and money wasnít a option it would be a seedhawk drill on a Deere C850 tank. Not knocking the Seedtwin tanks but there far from Bourgault and Deere quality, support and ease of use.

iksn 02-02-2019 01:20 PM

I am also curious about new seedhawks. I’ve read through all the old threads on here and it seems like they were working out bugs progressively every year after after introducing the new models around 2016. Have they got them working smoothly consistently now? Ie meter motors and iPad disconnects?

Dumbfarmer I also like the look of the C850, but am not a fan of their sectional control system grinding grain. Have you used one? How was your experience?

One factor that has us starting to lean towards a complete seedhawk unit is their claim of less hydraulic capacity needs. If anyone has any experience running one with a lower flow tractor(~50gal/min) I would be interested in hearing your experience too.

jimbobobaroo 02-02-2019 01:41 PM

I had a BG PHD and switched to Twin Wing Seedhawk. Just got tired of seeing the seed row N deficient until time for roots to actually reach the MRB. Never made sense to me to place N at the absolute furthest position away from the seed you could put it. With that said, the Seedhawk comes out of the gate much faster, and lusher, but I was never able to prove an end yield difference.

My Seedhawk drill is on a Bourgault 950 Tank though. When switching over I demoed the Seedhawk tank and wasn't able to load it from a superbee easily with only 1 guy in the field (me). The ease of use on the BG tanks is second to none, and unbeatable in my opinion.

Distribution is likely better with Seedhawk tanks. BG has had issues with high rates in the past on units since they switched to putting primary distribution on the tank rather than the drill. The last couple years, they have been working to try and solve this problem and a modified primary distribution system is now available. I can say that my fertilizer dist. has been upgrade and performs much better than the old system. Seed will be done this coming spring as well.

Have to also say that I like the twin wing a little better than single side band. Where I'm at, a little more disturbance blackens it up a touch and seems to move a little more straw out of the seed row. It is rough though when crossing it. BG is a better field finish for sure, but looks don't necessary pay the bills either.

dumbfarmer 02-02-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iksn (Post 3312303)
I am also curious about new seedhawks. Iíve read through all the old threads on here and it seems like they were working out bugs progressively every year after after introducing the new models around 2016. Have they got them working smoothly consistently now? Ie meter motors and iPad disconnects?

Dumbfarmer I also like the look of the C850, but am not a fan of their sectional control system grinding grain. Have you used one? How was your experience?

One factor that has us starting to lean towards a complete seedhawk unit is their claim of less hydraulic capacity needs. If anyone has any experience running one with a lower flow tractor(~50gal/min) I would be interested in hearing your experience too.

Havenít used a c850 yet but my dealer tells me seed grinding is a non issue with some kit installed in Canola meters.
My seedhawk dealer still admits thereís challenges on new tanks and software

No one is getting any younger on my farm and safety is only becoming a bigger concern. No way am I paying 100s of thousands for air tanks that arenít user friendly and that a 8yr old or 80yr old can use and climb multiple times and feel safe. Deere and Bourgault seem to have the safe and easy thing figured out better then the rest.

iksn 02-02-2019 02:11 PM

Admittedly we have only started researching seed hawks a couple weeks ago and haven’t actually climbed one. Is the ladder and walk way poor/dangerous?

You’re right, useability is very important, and Deere has some of the most intuitive software on the market.

The pictures and videos I’ve seen of seed hawks icon looks fairly slick, and well laid out. I wonder how it is to use?

Fixx 02-02-2019 03:39 PM

I don’t want to start a pissing contest but why would you see the row be deficient of fert in the seed row. What is your fert system ? Typically the mid rows are used for nitrogen and the plant doesn’t really use until it is a few weeks emerged. Pho’s should be placed with the seed as it does not disperse in the soil readily . Are you using a blend and putting a percentage down the mid rows and a smaller percentage down with the seed? Perhaps the seed row is lacking starter fertilizer?...... just curious as I have heard this before about mid row banding . Yes we do have a paralink and I have not seen this effect ....... if one fert system is using a blend then the pho’s used is probably from the previous year ....... can someone enlighten me on this ( plants stranded too far from mid row) ........ I could also see some of this happening if it’s dry as **** out but if it’s that dry your a long ways up **** creek lol...... the mid rows are extra maintenance but aren’t too bad and they do cut the straw to help trash clearance

Jason Hildebrand 02-02-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumbfarmer (Post 3312317)
My seedhawk dealer still admits thereís challenges on new tanks and software

Deere and Bourgault seem to have the safe and easy thing figured out better then the rest.

You must have the only honest seedhawk dealer on the planet, I know my local dealer doesn't even sell the seed hawk tanks anymore, however the seed hawk rep always tells me the tanks are almost perfect and they never have issues.:rolleyes:

After climbing up the Deere C850 tank at the latest show I'm not really convinced how safe that staircase is. The steps are narrow and have large gaps plus everything shakes and wobbles.

For anyone that likes the seed hawk metering I would take a good look at the CNH/Flexi coil tanks, very similar meter system that has very few bugs and the support of a large company behind it.

jimbobobaroo 02-02-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixx (Post 3312323)
( plants stranded too far from mid row) ........ I could also see some of this happening if itís dry as **** out but if itís that dry your a long ways up **** creek lol...... the mid rows are extra maintenance but arenít too bad and they do cut the straw to help trash clearance

Yes plant stranded from N partially. I refer to seed row as the growing plant row. Every year you would see a lighter color, spindlier plant prior to, and up to, certain points at or following weed spray timing. ie. It usually took that long for roots to tap into the majority of nitrogen placement (midrow), as you can only put a portion down in the seed row safely. Once roots got there, darkened right up and off to the races you would go. Timing slightly variable, but if you watched closely you could see which rows had found N, and which ones hadn't by color of the plant.

Doesn't happen when majority of Nitrogen is placed closer to seed ie. Non-Midrow. Most notable in wheat and barley. Noticeable in normal precipitation years, not a drier than **** area here.

Was putting a portion of same blend down seed row and midrow, 20% in seed row of an actual 125N 50P blend, rest in mid row.

I do agree MidRow help with trash clearance. Negatives IMO are maintenance, placement of N, and Huge Cost.

joesixpack 02-02-2019 04:16 PM

No love for the JD/consevapac drill?

They seem to grow as good or better crop as any.

Other than the width we want don’t really have a high float option.