Air Seeder Product Level: Alarms vs Cameras - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Air Seeder Product Level: Alarms vs Cameras

Been toying with the idea of making an alarm system for tank levels is the air cart instead of cameras. Personally im not a fan of cameras in the air tank, hard to see level, glare and clutter cab with screens etc. I looked inside a Seedhawk 600 today and saw it had a series of 4 sensors on the ladder, not sure what you'd see in the cab, but i was thinking of wiring the sensors to lights in the cab. So when the tank level would reach a sensor the light would come on, I'd have 4 lights for each compartment lined up in the cab and when the last sensor trigger id have a buzzer wired in as well. Has anyone made a setup like this or what are your thoughts...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
I'm surprised that you would prefer sensors over cameras. I understand the issue of glare and cab clutter though and at night bright monitors in the cab are annoying. After having a camera in one tank I am seriously thinking of installing them in the other tanks as well. It is annoying and a waste of time having to stop to check how much product is left in the tank. Ideally, I would like a camera in each tank and a switch operated alarm system that triggers just before the tank runs out for those times that a person gets distracted and forgets to check. I'm surprised that you have trouble seeing the level in the tank but I'm running it through a JD 2630 screen so maybe the picture is better.

Can you hook the cameras up to your GPS screen to eliminate an extra monitor?

Would it help you to mount a yard stick or old tape measure in the tank to help you determine the level of the grain better with the camera?

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
If you already have the cam installed, just making marks along the sides and slopes with a marker or paint for a reference guide. (On the inside of course!!) We don't have cams inside our Bourgault tank, just sensors, am going to put in cameras first chance I get, nothing sucks more than getting to the farthest point of the field when the alarm goes off when you could turn around half way down the field and make it back before empty.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm surprised to, that even with the clutter and (poor) visuals I'd never go back only to a sensor. One reason I like the camera is so I can change seed variety and can seed without stopping right to the last pound without getting out of the cab. But every person has their preferences.
sasksodbuster and bradw2 like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
I am putting the cameras in my Bourgault tank as soon as Allen Leigh (Precision Cam) gets them back in stock to ship before spring. The bin level sensors have not been reliable for me at all.
I ordered first week of January and they are still waiting to receive their shipment or something before they can send to customers.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
I would not be without camera's in the tank. Have the factory camera's in the CNH tank as well as sensors. The camera images show up on the cart monitor, so there are not extra displays in the cab.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I'm surprised your tanks don't have some kind of bin level sensors already. I put cameras in the tank a few years ago and wouldn't be without them now. The ones from Allen Leigh. If they aren't working well for you I'd figure out why before I'd spend a bunch of time installing a new bin level system.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Only thing better than cameras would be scaled on each tank. Guys that have newer tanks with individual scales love them.
tswanson and Cleancut like this.

Brent.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
We have precision cameras in all tanks. Had then for about 5 years in tank when working for friend and really liked them. Started farming myself and helping in-laws, there tank had no cameras. I quickly rectified than. Stopping often to check tank cleaning out seed tank or trying to optimize fert fills is such a waste of time when you could have cameras and there pretty cheap now. What system you have? Ours are no means perfect but work well enough. Your the only person I’ve heard of that didn’t think camera was improvement/good addition to level sensors.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have a system from allen leigh with cameras in each tank and I would not be without them now. Don't have any extra lights installed and I can seed right to the last kernel on each tank if desired. This is on a deere tank so you do get quite a bit of light in the tank during daytime but even at night the image is pretty good. I find the factory sensors to be totally irrelevant now and don't even pay any attention to them. Personally if I had to pick one or the other I would go with the cameras and nothing else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page