Coulter bearings on BG disc drill - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Coulter bearings on BG disc drill

Hi guys.

I have a BG 4710 disc drill. I'm replacing the discs and scrapers and wondering if I should replace the disc bearings and seals also?

I'm the second owner and not sure on the total acres on this unit. I've put about 20,000 ac on it I would guess and only replaced 3 or 4 disc hub bearings. Still has the original bearings and seals yet.

Do you fix as fail until it gets to be a regular occurrence or just replace them now while I have the discs off anyway and, hopefully don't have to be changing them in the field? Not sure what the lifespan of these hubs is.

I think it is the same as a series 25 MRB.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
I’ve been in the field with both John Deere disc drills and Bourgault for about 15 years. I think fixing it as it failis works fine. We really haven’t changed that many in that time.

I would definitely have a few new spare hub and spindle assemblies or some that you have reconditioned so when you find a loose one you can swap it out fast. I do the same thing with extra packer and gauge wheels, just keep them bolted onto the frame someplace. The loose ones taken off find their way back to the bench and people pick away at putting new bearings and seals in them.

I would be perfectly happy starting a season with 5% in spares on hand, but things can happen where you might need more.

You don’t want to put yourself in a position that you need to fit bearings and seals in a hub so you can seed, if that is happening you need to buy more assembled units.

Last edited by Haystack; 04-04-2019 at 11:59 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
I agree with Haystack on all points. I will add that on my drill the MRB and seed hubs are the same, so If I'm in a real bind I just ziptie the fert hose to the frame and run without a MRB so I can use that hub on a seed row. When I replace discs I pop the hub cap off and tighten the hub if there is a little play. not a fun job, but I think it will save some dollars in the long run. In 30,000 acres I've replaced about 3 seed hubs, 4 MRB hubs, 5 guage wheels, 40 packer/guage bolts, and 2 packer wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Thanks guys.

I was leaning that way as removing 120 hubs and replacing seals and bearings doesn't sound like an appealing job.

Dan
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
This makes me think keeping a very detailed maintenance log would be a good plan. Keep track of which bearings have been tightened, if they get loose again in season tighten them to finish the season and then replace in off season.

The nice part of the series 3 mrbs and the 3720 hubs is that the hub and spindle come off together so swapping out in field with a spare hub is really quick and clean. I'm thinking the 4710 probably doesn't have a removable spindle so a swap in field is a little more work and messier so a little more preventative maintenance is preferred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in