Paired row vs knife - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Paired row vs knife

Wondering what advantages there would be in going to a 3/4" knife on my flexicoil 5000 would be.

Currently have Dutch low draft paired row openers on it. It's set up on 9" spacing so am pretty happy with the paired row, always concerned about the swath falling in the stubble for harvest.

Biggest reason why I'm thinking of knives is just for less soil disturbance. Are there any other advantages? Disadvantages?

I have a couple years left on these openers I think, but always like to do some reaserch.

Should also mention that I fall band fert with the drill, around 300 product pounds/acre usually, would the narrow tip limit me there at all?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
With the knife it can be hard to put much fertilizer down without causing burning at seeding time. The knife will definatley move less dirt and will have less seed bed utilization. I had some narrow knives for my 5000 for banding and was suprised how much dirt they still move. They move a little less dirt but still quite a bit for their width. If you travel fast with the knives on 12 inch spacing it almost looked like the field was cultivated. I ended up puting the dutch knives that go on my bodies for the paired row on a cultivator and use them for spiking when needed when we had heavy residue. At 9-10 miles per hour and the harrows down on the cutivator it did a pretty nice job in heavy wheat straw. I would buy 1 or 2 of them to try for a couple hundred feet at field speed before you buy a set.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Nobodys when from one to the other and have a preference because?

Dont put much fert down with the seed, usually just a bit of phos. Everything else is banded in the fall.

I keep going back and forth about this. I like my paired row to get the wider spacing for trash clearance and can still keep the swath up at harvest. I like the idea of the narrow knife for less soil disturbance. Concerned if I go to a narrow knife on 9" spacing of the swath falling through. Or if I go to a narrow knife on 7.5" spacing that i wont have enough clearances for trash flow.

Would like to hear from anyone who uses a knife on 9 or 10 inch spacing how the swath holds up, how the weed suppression is and if theres any other pros or cons for disease or yield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Lots of 10" drills out there with 3/4" openers on them that seem to work but I'm more of a paired row guy
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I was running atom jet paired row on my morris contour and i switched to atom jet side bands. I don't think they move much less dirt, but i am sure my yield on wheat and peas is less with the side band. Next openers i will be going back to paired row.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Or anybody go from 7.5 spacing with knife to 10 inch paired row or vice versa. What are the pros cons there?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Putting 3.5 inch paired row dutch universals on my 7 inch spaced BG 5710 this year. Going away from btt side bands.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
We used to have 3/4 inch knives on our drill with 10 inch spacing. Like you mentioned the swath doesn't stay up as well. We now use 2 inch spoons and have much better results. We actually want to go to 8 inch spacing but hard to find a Bourgault with 8 inch. The older drills seemed to have that spacing more often, and we do have a FH36-40??? with 8 inch that we put fertilizer on with, but the newer ones seem to be more in the 10 inch and up.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Put simply paired row is best in cereals and peas, knife the best for canola. I have both for my Seedhawk. I put the Dutch single side band for canola then switch to paired row for everything else.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Barn
Seed hawk guy said at the clinic that almost all their new drills are going out or ordered with side band openers now. Speed is one of the main reasons I would think.

1967 Case 930 Comfort King with spin on filters and square fenders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page