Bourgault 6550 Case Drain Pressure Error - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bourgault 6550 Case Drain Pressure Error

I have an issue without our 2010 Bourgault 6550 cart giving us a high case drain pressure error. We found that if we slowly increase the oil flow on the remote that we can get it running without the high pressure alarm.

We tried a number of things to try to determine where the cause is:
1) changed pressure sensor sending unit
2) changed hose at hitch of seeder
3) opened fittings at a number of locations between the fan and tractor on the case drain line and flow appears to be normal
4) we tried a different tractor on the unit to see if the tractor was the problem
5) Changed the quick connect couples at the tractor and between the seeder and cart.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas for diagnosis?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Do you have 2 fans or just one?

If you have 2 does it do it with both fans running or just one or the other?

I would go as far as to say that the motor might need a new seal kit or rebuild.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
are you running a Case or NH tractor and trying to return thourgh factory return line? If you are you need to run a seprate line straight into the top of oil tank and it will fix the problem. Case and NH don't send factory return back to top of tank and you get just enough back pressure to set off alarm on bourgault .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

We are running it on a Case 485. The return line was the first thing we tried and plumbed a new line into the top of the tank. I'm not sure why Case does not install it this way at the factory. Plumbing it into the pressurized rear diff. is asking for difficulty.

Thanks for the suggestion bsigg. I will check out the motors. They seem to hold their speed ok and there is no leaks but there may be an internal seal broken.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Check your hyd couplers in the return line have had bad tips before where the ball and spring seem to be screwed up. You could also put a pressure Gage on return line and see what pressure you have. We also had some of the couples replaced on are tractor which where restricting flow on drill.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Is there much oil coming out of the case drain with it unhooked if you just put it in a pail? Should be very little.

Before you chase down many more things, I would just T in a pressure gauge and make sure that there is actually high pressure in the line. According to the parts books, that is a 55 psi switch, so if the actual line pressure is 50 or lower and the switch is still going, I would try a new switch. I think they're about $70 or so.

If the pressure is high, you may want to try changing your return line to a flat face couple rather than a ball if you can. They have lower pressure drop.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 PM

I have case drain pressure alarm on both our 6550s every year, tried changing sensors tracing lines for kinks, can always feel a small amount of heat coming off return line so tells me oil is flowing back but we don't seem to be able to get alarm to quit. I'm running x20s on both machines
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Many orbit motors have no internal pressure seals, only the shaft seal that is beyond the case drain return. Most likely the switch was engineered to work with the leak rate of a brand new orbit motor. Unless there has been shaft seal failures, someone likely needs to engineer a higher pressure switch. If you have to ignore it, it's not really protecting you from the mistake that can happen. May as well disconnect it for now, I'd say.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

We checked the flow on the drain line. It was running full stream which is much more that should be returned through the line. Changed the orbit motor out and problem solved.

Thank you for the help.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Does the return line on the tractor have a filter? Our 9400 4WD has one. It needs to be changed at least every 2nd year on our tractor with 1900 air cart.

We hadn't even thought of the filter since there is little to no oil coming back through that line. We took all the lines off, blew air through to check for blockages, removed all the quick couplers and connected the lines directly to each other. Eventually (last resort??) decided to change the filter...should have tried that first! The filter was plugged after 2 seasons.

Our old 8760 never even had a filter on the line. I wonder how much dirt we were dumping back into the tractor???

Andrew

P.S. I see you solved the problem...I'll leave my notes here for future generations to read!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page