John Shearer Mk2 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
John Shearer Mk2

Hi there I'm Helen
There are two questions I have and would greatly appreciate any feedback whatsoever. I purchased the John Shearer MK2 air seeder last year as a package with a stieger panther to pull it and the person I purchased it from wasn't honest at all in regards to the actual condition of the seeder box and the running of it. Anyhow, I am just wondering if anyone knows the capacity of the front and rear boxes on a John Shearer MK2. I am also wondering what would cause the application rate adjustment for grain to only be putting out 1 oat seed every 15cms. My speed on my first lap of paddock would have been 6kms/hr. I adjusted the rate for seed, the next lap I tried to sow I was only going 3kms/hr but it made no difference it still put out 1 oat seed every 15cms. When I asked the farmer I bought it off about this problem he said I must have not adjusted it correctly (just because I am a girl with blonde hair doesn't mean I am stupid) Please please if anyone has any ideas please let me know

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:02 PM
KWO

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
The front bin is 1800 litres, rear 1500 litres.
There are "gates" under the meter rollers, these will need to be set on opening 4 the get the necessary clearance for oats.
The rate charts are a guide only.
Check you bin lid seals, if they are leaking than the grain will not flow into the meters.
There is a manifold that is part of the front bin where the fan discharges into, make sure the 5x 12mm holes each side are clean inside the front bin. A good improvement is the enlarge the outer two holes to 30mm diameter.

Climate Change; if you don't produce more food or natural fibre than you eat or wear, then YOU are the problem!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
You should also be able to crank the meters over in place (no need to put in the ground) to get your rate close to what you’re wanting (and to save you having to do a lap of the field to check).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
The speed you travel will not affect the seeding rate or seeds per metre in the row. As was said above, make sure the tanks are pressurized and stay so.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool Thanks

Thanks ever so much for the answers and information you have sent me to help get my JS running properly, your help has been awesome. Now just wondering if it will ever rain in my district again
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Seems to be an eBay seller in Aus that may have the owners manuals which will help (if you don’t have them already)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-...-/273246147631
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:00 AM
KWO

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Another thing to check is the ground drive sprocket, needs to be the correct size to match the width of your bar

Climate Change; if you don't produce more food or natural fibre than you eat or wear, then YOU are the problem!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
The little bevel gears inside the gearbox had a habit of not engaging properly in the commonly used gears as they get older/more worn, sometimes you needed to set the selectors off the mark to get them to engage properly again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
I still use a Mk1 which is pushing 50 years old and still is a very reliable machine. If the box has not been cleaned properly you may not get the gates to move. Open the bottom doors and see if they move properly, I would say they would be seized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page