The annual who's seeding thread. - Page 5 - The Combine Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2846 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEMAN View Post
No, had planned on starting on Fri, my neighbours and your buddies are pretty happy they have lots in.
Your neighbors crop will come up the same time as yours and yours will be more even. Extra moisture probably gives some leeway on seeding shallower now too, extra bonus.

ZEEMAN likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Have turned any dirt yet. Got 7" of snow yesterday into this morning. Mostly melted, another day or 2 and it'll be gone. Low of 22F here tonight. Maybe will be going by end of this week.

post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iksn View Post
Trying some of that frost seeding wheat Pete is always talking about.

Does anyone have experience with how fall rye handles three nights of -8 or lower? Lots of people tell me it is tough as nails, but itís hard to imagine anything in 3-4 leaf taking that sort of abuse.

We've never grown it ourselves, so take this for what it's worth. A guy near us has grown it almost every year for as long as I have been alive, and I don't ever recall it dying off from a late frost, and my area gets late and hard frosts often.
iksn likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Your neighbors crop will come up the same time as yours and yours will be more even. Extra moisture probably gives some leeway on seeding shallower now too, extra bonus.
Why will the later crop be more even ?

Brent.
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2846 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post
Why will the later crop be more even ?
Warmer soil. Around here the snow is melting slowly, meaning cold soil. Wind made drifts so right now some hillsides are bare and some drifts. Deep seeding amplifies this. Starting with an uneven crop means every subsequent field operation becomes harder to time properly.

So waiting until in a phase of good weather and continuous warming is ideal, unless of course it never rains. I get it that guys in your area would see this as a serious threat but in the last 20 years here I can think of 2 when we had to wait any amount of time for moisture to grow a crop.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but I chose to keep the seed in the bin and focus on field prep. Right now that looks like the right decision...unless it rains every few days for the next few weeks(which is more of a threat here). I've just noticed that the May crops always seem to be the best, hopefully things hold to the pattern and we get going in the next week or so. 4" of wet snow here much like whtbaron's pictures.
fjlip, bjtjjl and kevlar like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Well this fall rye thing. I’ll say it dies too. Some looks awesome! I’ll say 10-15% is dead.
post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I was thinking to put flax on 160 acers or so where it’s dead. What’s best verities of flax are out there today ?
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Going to be a late start this year. With the cool temps and hard frosts every night this wk looks like it’s a right off. Doing a burnoff could get interesting. Maybe some of the weeds will take a hit. I’m sure all the chem companies are all gathering to go over what they are going to tell us why something didn’t work. Of course, it’s always our fault.
Wondering what is going to happen to any seed that has puffed up or even sprouted with these cold night time temps?
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Got going on the 2nd of April, had a good run and had some fall seeded crops in to speed up this spring, all finished off around the 20th, very dry by end but good some needed rains and snow this last week, ground temps were up to 12c before this last Artic front hit.. wheat, durum, peas out, waiting on chicks to submerge, but with frost last few nights, maybe a good thing.. about 1/2 guys done I would guess in area.. some waiting for Rain to start, and then the reg slow pokes.. could be another week before feilds are Ready to get back in.. good 1.5” rain and snow
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:41 AM
jvw

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bussard View Post
waiting on chicks to submerge,
How much moisture are you expecting, if it will submerge them?

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page